AdviceFood Safety

Be Sure To Check Canned Goods Before Using

Yesterday I cleaned out the pantry and found myself looking at a can lid that appeared different. Not dirty, not rusted, just a little odd. I pushed my finger on the top of the lid and it made a pop down and up - and directly into the trash it went. Found another like that and then went through every can. Didn't find any more, but pitched a few with very old 'sell by' dates.

The moral of this story is that although modern canning methods by big name companies are very secure, you always want to be extra careful. That can may have been dropped at the grocery store causing a seal leak and put back on the shelf. Check those cans every time you use one!

Definitely! And if you purchase several cans at once, be sure and rotate the purchase-- newest to the back of the shelf.