WeedsGardening

Large Area Weed Control In Arizona

Category Weeds

Does anyone have a good idea for large area weed control? I live in Arizona where having a lawn is not the best option. One of my two acres is primarily "yard" which i have cleared every year with a tractor. Eventually I will be covering this area with decroative rock, however in the meantime I have been over grown with weeds.

I would like to apply something to this entire area to keep the weeds from coming back in between my annual clearing and manually weeding every week is not an option. Does anyone know of a chemical that i can spray/spread over this large of an area that won't cost thousands of dollars? :)

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nichole in AZ

You can use bleach, it kills very quickly and when it eventually rains the rain will dilute the residue of the bleach so it will not be environmental problem.

Bleach will also kill or burn anything else that it comes in contact with, including the paws and tongues (used for grooming) of any animals that walk through. Bleach IS a long-term environmental hazard, especially if it gets into the ground water. Even though the rain will "dilute" it and wash it off your property eventually, it has to go somewhere, which will be the groundwater system or the gutter which ends up in the water system too.

I would recommend vinegar instead. It's very effective, not nearly as hazardous to wildlife and the water supply, and will biodegrade.

Goats! :)
Putting chemicals on the weeds is only destroying weeds, period. No profit in that, plus they WILL grow back eventually.
Putting a couple of goats out there to forage will fatten them up and when they have cleared the land to your satisfaction or if they have babies, you can sell them & make a profit. Make the land pay for itself.
Plus, they are environmentally friendly and loads of fun!
Darween from Georgia, USA :)

Salt works, too

We use vinegar as a weed killer. Mix it in a large sprayer. You can add a little dish soap to help it stick to the plants. Places like Costco sell vinegar cheaply in large bottles.

Use Preen twice a year and you will have no weeds :)