Grocery ShoppingShopping

Shop At Discount Grocery Stores

As far as the person who wrote in about eating healthy for less, I have a suggestion. We have started eating healthier and I am the "coupon queen". I thought it was cheaper to eat fat too, until I switched. For one thing fruit is much more filling, where chips actually cause you to be hungrier. There is a local meat market and a Meijer store that I shop at and they both have produce that needs to be sold that day marked down really cheap!

Last week I bought 9 green peppers in a bag for .99! I cut them up and we snacked on them and used them in recipes for the whole week. I still have some left. I am still looking for more tips and ideas, but that was one I thought I'd share with you!

By Jill

As for buying a lot of green pepper on sale, I chop them up and put them in small freezer bags to put in meatloaf or other recipes that I use green pepper in. I also place all the small bags in one large freezer bag, so they don't get lost in the freezer and add to it when I get another bargan. I pre-chop onions also and place them in the freezer the same way. It really saves time when you are in a rush and don't have time to chop or go to the store.

You can buy parsley or cilantro fresh, wash and dry well with paper towels, and process it in the small work bowl of your food processor. Store in a used margarine tub in the freezer. It'll keep both its color and its flavor. You can buy frozen herbs now, but this is so much less expensive.

Do any one know if there are any discount grocery stores in South Carolina?

I'm looking for a discount grocery store to shop at in the Austin/Central TX area -- please help!