Buick LeSabre Transmission Problem

I have a 1993 Buick Lesabre with an automatic transmission problem. On cold days it takes 20 minutes to a half an hour to warmup the car before it can go forward in gear or in reverse. Now that the weather is warmer it takes about 15-20 miutes to move in gear? I know it's the transmission but has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions from other Buick owners have had this problem?

Thank you,
Joe from Providence RI

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post)

You can check out a great website http://www.stretcher.com Follow the left column down until you come to "Bob: the car care man" or "Car care clinic" or similar wording. You can check out his answers to previous problems but you can also ask him about your particular problem. He is very prompt and good about answering questions! Good Luck!

By Dean Williams (Guest Post)

my 2004 lesabre has had one fly wheel replaced and now it is broken again. The dealer is going to replace the torque converter and new flywheel. I have never had a problem with buicks, even close to this.

By Wil Davis (Guest Post)

I also have the same problem with a 1993 Buick Lesabre. When the weather gets cool or cold it won't go into forward or reverse until it warms up.

Once it engages it runs good and stays that way during the summer months. Anyone got a clue for the fix.

By Nate (Guest Post)

I have the same problem. My car won't start and takes several minutes to an hour to start back up. It also shuts of in mid-acceleration. I let my ac run for a while sometimes and push my car forward and reverse and it starts quicker.

By bill (Guest Post)

Try replacing the modulator valve.

When my 94 Buick is cold and I put in it in drive or reverse it bumps, but won't go forwards or reverse for about 10 to 15 minutes, till it warms up. Then once warmed up it goes into gear and works perfectly until it cools down, then same over again. I changed fluid and filter and no difference. What do I do?

By Richard from Huntsville, AL

Let it warm up. Might need bands tightened. But since it's a 94 might just be age.

I have the same issue with on a 1994 Lesabre and have done some pretty extensive research on this issue.

This is a very common issue on all 4T60e transmissions, often referred to as "morning sickness". These transmissions are pretty weak and you can't expect them to last more than about 150k miles.

The issue in question is related to a bad seal that doesn't allow the transmission to gain enough pressure at cold temps. Once the transmission has warmed up the seal expands and allows enough pressure to build up.

Unfortunately, there is no easy / cheap fix for this. Using an additive such as Lucas Oils Stop Slip may buy you some time, it works in 2 ways by thickening your fluid and "swelling" the seals.

The downside is that an older transmission will have brittle seals and it will work for a while (could be a week, could be a year) but will eventually stop working and the seals will be worse than they were originally.

* Do NOT do a transmission flush on older transmissions!

* Only use an additive if absolutely necessary and you know your trans is on its way out!

* Be prepared for an expensive trans rebuild or replacement!

try a can of trans X in it