Dessert for Young Kids in Restaurant

contest winner icon

When we would go out to eat with our kids when they were quite young, most of the time, they would fuss and not finish their meals. So we decided to let them eat their meal at home before we went to a restaurant. My husband and I would order our meal along with desserts for the kids. There was never a problem getting them to finish their dessert. One of our kids was high-chair age so we would bring her a small snack from home.

This was a treat for all of us, the kids got dessert and we were able to relax and enjoy our meal. At a young age, most of the time, they are too busy looking around and not concentrating on what they are eating. Feeding them at home first and then allowing them to get dessert at the restaurant always solved this problem for us.

By it's.only.me from NE PA / USA

What a great ingenious idea. Wish I thought of it when my kids were younger!

Sounds like a good workable idea for many children. My 4 enjoyed going out to eat though as we didn't do it that often and if they wanted to go with us, they had to learn to behave like little ladies and gentlemen. The three daughters were so close in age that many times, we'd order one adult meal to be split between the 3 of them. They loved restaurant desserts

too, and we'd do the same thing when ordering dessert, and just add a scoop of ice-cream to each one's portion of the dessert.

There are about as many ways to solve problems as there are parents who are willing to learn. I love hearing about how others solve various problems although I'm certainly not going to be raising any more children. LOL

Thank you for sharing your idea. It's a good one.

Pookarina

I'm with Nurserobinson! Thumbs up for your thrifty solution to a problem parents through the years have struggled with - how to have a nice restaurant dinner with small children.

What a great idea! Too bad my kids are too old for this! Someday, I'll use it with my grand kids though!

Anonymous

We have 3 kids (now grown). It was too expensive to eat out, so we did the same thing. Fixed dinner for the kids at home-something they wanted. PBJ sandwiches, grilled cheese...made it a fun thing.

Then when we got to the restaurant they'd order desert, and my husband and I ordered dinner. The kids always got a big kick out of NOT having to order dinner!
It was fun, and cost effective, while it lasted;)

We have 3 (now grown) children. When they were young, it was often too expensive to go out to eat. So we did just what this writer mentions. I'd fix them a dinner of their choice-something easy and fun, like PBJ and grilled cheeses,etc.
Then we'd all go out to eat, they'd order desert, and my husband and I would order a meal.
The kids got a kick out of not HAVING to order a meal. Often, they'd ask to eat some of ours...and that was fine.
Enjoy it with it lasts!

Anonymous

Good idea but the only bad thing about this is deserts usually cost more than a meal themselves. In any case, you do what you have to in order to enjoy your restaurant meal.