Keeping Spices Dry

Is there any solution to keeping cooking spices from becoming damp? Is it just this time of the year - with all the humidity - or does this mean that the spice is "old" and needs to be thrown out?

Toni from USA

I have never had spices get damp. They should never be stored by the stove....they need to be away from heat and moisture. I think they are probably better off away from light too.

You can buy these amazing little canisters called Dry Spice (www.dryspice.com) that you just drop into your spice jars and it removes all the moisture. I had many spices that were all stuck together, I had to break them up with a knife. After I put these canisters in them they turned into powder again. Amazing! It also keeps the flavor & smell very fresh.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 14, 2006
📓
🌻
🐛