Home DecorCrafts

Making Curtains from a Duvet Cover

I love the tips on making curtains from bed sheets, etc., but I have a beautiful, unused king size duvet cover which I would like to use to make curtains/drapes for my bedroom window. The colour is perfect and matches my lamp shade. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

By cj from UK

I would take it apart at the seams and make sure the pieces are nice and straight like they would be on sheets and go from there.

Thank You. Must give it a go!

Hi there,
1. Give it a good wash before you start doing anything else.
** If the duvet is the same on both sides, then take it apart for sure. Should there be one side that is a lighter fabric, or a fabric that is acceptable to be seen from the street....than perhaps you can use this as is.

2. do your measuring- as the rules say.."measure twice & cut once"
3. an easy way to create curtains without a lot of sewing is to use Curtain clips with rings on the top that feed onto a curtain rod.
OR~
4. buy curtain tape: sew it along the top of your curtain
PULL the strings to whichever thickness you want the drapes to be.
-use drapery hooks in the created pleats, to hang from an appropriate [to match the hooks] curtain rod
OR~
5. sew a pocket along the top, that will encompass the width of the curtain rod IE: 2" etc. and slide the curtain along
* use any pieces of fabric to create curtain tie-backs so you can draw the curtains to the side of the window.
** use other pieces to create pillow covers etc.
Have fun. Great idea to repurpose your duvet cover.