Vinegar and Aluminum Foil To Replace Fabric Softener

Toss 1/4 cup of vinegar in your washer. It's a natural softening agent and helps remove soap residue. Then toss clean clothes in the dryer with a large wadded up ball of aluminum foil to act as a conductor to attract the static electricity. When clothes are done, they not only smell good, socks don't stick to the t-shirts, etc.

By Molly from Katy, TX

Do you have to replace the foil each time you dry clothes or can you continue to use the same foil for multiple loads?

Well done! You got my vote! Awesome tip and I will be using it starting with my very next laundry trek! Thanks for sharing!

The vinegar has to be put in the rince cycle. Don't put it in the tub with the laundry detergent. I'm been doing this for years. I never buy fabric softeners.

I knew about the vinegar but not the foil. Thanks for the tip.

I've been using vinegar in both my wash cycle (with the soap, as an odor-fighter,) and in the rinse. I'd heard of the foil ball but hadn't tried it. Thumbs up!

I like this idea and at first I was concerned about the heat and the foil but we cook in the foil so I guess the heat in the dryer is no hotter than that.

Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsMarch 2, 2011
💘
🍀