Fruit TreesTrees

Late Maturing Apple Tree

Category Fruit Trees
Q: I am trying to find an old apple tree variety that used to grow outside of our house. I know this variety is at least 100 years old and would love to replace the dead tree with a new one of the same variety. It is a late maturing apple, yellowish green in color, sweet and crisp. I can remember fruit still hanging on this tree till Christma. My mom used to use this apple for everything. Anyone have any idea what the name of this variety of apple tree is?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Thanks for your help,
Veachel from North East Ohio

A: Veachel,

Your tree could be one of several varieties. I would recommend visiting with someone from a local orchard, contacting a local arborist or contacting the nearest county extension agency for more information. They would have the most knowledge in regards to what type of tree you might have. They can tell you the most common varieties grown in your area 100 years ago and advise you if any of those varieties are still available locally. Melrose is one of the most popular apples cultivated in Ohio so you might want to start there. From your description, Fuji, Goldrush and Mutsu varieties also sound like possible contenders. Below are two links for visual resources to antique/heritage apple varieties. Both links contain images and descriptions. Start by narrowing down the "late" producing varieties and then further narrowing your search by apple color.

Finally, here is a link to the Ohio State University Extension Agency and a list of Ohio's favorite apples, descriptions and uses.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Ellen