Wind Steel Wool to Tighten Screws

My front door became difficult to open. Upon examining it, I realized that the screws had come loose and the strike plate was sticking out which made it difficult to open. I had a book of household hints that I had bought at a yard sale. It suggested you wind a piece of steel wool on the screws to tighten them. It worked and saved me a repair bill.

By Maya from Redlands, CA

Anonymous

A really good idea Maya. :-)

Hmm, never would've thought of this one. Hubby was a rough carpenter and general contractor for years, I'd bet he never thought of it, either. He always adds small bits of wood to tighten strike plates and things like it.

Excellent! I had to plug some steel wool into the hole (pushed it as far as possible with a screwdriver) and then wrap more steel wool around the screw before driving it back in, but it worked like a charm. Thanks!