Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine?

Ants on a Trumpet VineMy yellow trumpet vine had a lot of black ants this summer. Is that normal? I never noticed this other summers. They were so many that a few came into the house. If ants are normal, can I spray something on the ants, or will I kill the plant? My plant is huge, about 15', it surrounds my deck for privacy. Hate to lose the plant, but want to lose the ants.

Marilyn

Answers

By Lee Martin (Guest Post)

I use plain dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray a couple of times every day and they will give up. I does not hurt the leaves. Good luck from Nova Scotia Canada

By April (Guest Post)

I don't know much about trumpet vines, but here's a thought--could they be like peonies--and need the ants for pollination/blooming? If so any treatment needs should not be applied to the plant directly. What about treating the foundation/windowsill (where ever the ants are coming in at)? My granny used to sprinkle borax (laundry booster) around the door and windows where she kept her peony bushes for just that reason.

By athomewithmama (Guest Post)

Ants on your plants isn't necessarily a bad thing. They won't harm it, just annoying. I'd check to see if there's another type of bug on your vine, that sometimes happens when you spot ants.

From my experience, where there are a lot of ants, look for aphids.

I have a huge trumpet vine on my balcony and it also has lots of ants but I don't mind as they feed on the aphids and keep them under control.

I too have wondered if ants are actually needed to help open trumpet vine flowers, as is true for peonies. But there has been no response to this question.

Please respond, if you can help answer this question. Thanks.

I have found the opposite is true. Ants are sucking my flower buds dry, such that they shrivel up and do not open. A few buds have survived the ants, but thus far the ants seem to be winning the battle.

Ants don't suck nectar. They may, however, be protecting aphids on the vines. It's the aphids which harm the plants, the ants "milk" them for their sweet excretions.

Ants left on a trumpet vine will KILL it. They bring aphids up as well

WRONG!! Ants carry up the aphid eggs and milk them of their nectar. They definitely do not eat aphids, they farm them.

Its not true that Peony need the ants for anything. The ants are drawn to the sweet nectar and dont hurt or benefit the plant.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsFebruary 25, 2012
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf26758306.tip.html