Growing Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia)

Category Flowers
Angel's trumpet is a member of the genus brugmansia, although it is sometimes linked to datura, a genus in the same family. It is prized for its large fragrant, trumpet shaped, hanging flowers. This is a guide about growing angel trumpet.

These pendulous fragrant flowers make an interesting addition to a garden. This is a guide about angel's trumpet photos.

Golden Angel's Trumpet

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about datura photos. Datura is a genus containing several species of poisonous flowering plants.

Sacred Datura growing in the red sands of Utah

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Datura or Brugmansia is a highly poisonous plant. There are mental and physical disturbances brought about by the plant alkaloids. This is not a good plant to have in a garden where there are pets or children or anyone else who is apt to put their hands in their mouth after handling the plant. Take a look at this article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

It is a beautiful but deadly plant!

Is it possible to grow an angel trumpet plant from seeds? Someone gave me some seeds from a double lavender angel trumpet, and I have planted seeds at a couple of different times, but nothing ever came up. I really would like to be able to grow angel trumpets (Brugsmansia), but have no plant to get cuttings from. Any suggestions?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

Answers

Zone 7b is too cold for them They need at least zone 9.

They grow all over my neighborhood; is it just too cold to start them from seed?

I bought a tiny plant on line last fall on sale. I planted it in a pot to keep indoors during the winter months. Now I replanted it in a bigger pot to keep outdoors. I think this is a better solution to seeds cause you already get a plant to start with. It does cost a little more to order but I got the plant that I wanted.

Keep in mind that this is a poisonous plant. Are you sure you want it in your garden? This is a reference from Wikipedia - "Toxicity - All parts of Brugmansia plants contain dangerous levels of poison and may be fatal if ingested by humans or animals, including livestock and pets. Contact with the eyes can cause pupil diliation (mydriasis) or unequal pupil size (anisocoria). Some municipalities prohibit the purchase, sale, or cultivation of Brugmansia plants.

I have tried to grow Brugmansia from seed with no luck. But I got a cutting from a plant swap. And it is just starting to take off nicely. Datura is related to Brigmansia but the brugmansia flowers hang down, while the datura flowers stand up more. The seeds are also different.

I have had luck with the Datura seeds. There smaller than Brug seeds and start well on heat. I put mine in soil and put on top of the furnace. It takes about two to three weeks of heat before they come up. I have to water them in between. Then eventually after the root has started off well I move them to a lighted area.

Keep in mind that these plants are poison, so consider that before you decide on growing them. I have never had a pet bother them. I read an article about a Brug that went in the compost pile in Alaska. It had the dead flowers on it that went to seed. And the next summer the seeds came up in the compost pile. Oh if I could only be so lucky!

Join a seed swap. Yahoo has a good one called Yahoo Plant Swap. Have fun. Windgate.

I planted young and older growing Angel Trumpets in my six acres. First in the shade; no flowers, then in the sun, flowers. But, what is the best way to support them, and keep them from getting too cold? Should I use any fertilizer or special soil? Thanks.

By Phyllis from Clermont, FL

Answers

I have 1 yellow I started as 8 inches 3 years ago. Planted in huge planter for trees & have it sitting on my back deck in full sun. Doesn't take much water-Approx 1 gallon weekly until hottest summer, then 2 gallons weekly.

I live in Conroe, TX, Zone 8. On the 2nd year, it bloomed the most beautiful flowers! I use Miracle Grow for roses once monthly as it's next to my roses & just convenient. I sprinkle 2 tablespoons of epsom salt every 6 months, raking into soil & water. Never been moved & covered with sheet on freezing nights. The branches die back but come spring, grow again. Best luck.

I have about a 4 footer and it was nice and leafy. Now it is losing it's leaves and soon will have none. The plant does not appear to be dying.

By Joe N

Can anyone tell me how to grow angel trumpets? I have the pods which contain the seeds. I need to know where to plant them and when. Thank you.

Barbara from Port Austin, MI

Answers:

Growing Angel Trumpets

Be aware that angel trumpets (daytura) are quite poisonous, though beautiful to look at with the hanging trumpets. They contain an alkaloid and have been known to poison pets and children, so just be careful if you plant them. (04/15/2008)

By Ellie

Growing Angel Trumpets

Here's another warning about the trumpet plant. Here in Ohio, last summer, we had a huge problem with teens and young people using the pods to get high (can you imagine!?). So please, if you plan on planting these, destroy any pods that develop! I don't think any deaths happen as a result, but I do know of one teen that spent a terrible 12 hours in the ER waiting for the effects to wear off after having his stomach pumped! For what it's worth, they are lovely in the garden. (04/22/2008)

By momma red

Growing Angel Trumpets

Keeping Your Angel Trumpet Healthy:

Hailing from South America, these beauties prefer damp conditions with warm days and cool nights. Angel Trumpet's are in the Solanaceae family, which is the same family that tomatoes, potatoes and petunias are in. However, a word of caution: Angel Trumpets are extremely toxic.

Once you have acquired an Angel Trumpet, the next step is to keep it healthy. First you will need to make sure if you choose to grow yours in a pot that the pot and the plant are both well balanced so the wind cannot knock it over. The limbs of these plants break fairly easily and although this will allow you to multiply your collection, the trick is to grow your Angel Trumpet into a large size tree for maximum blooms.

Remember to leave enough room at the top of the pot to thoroughly water it. They need a lot of water and can handle being watered daily in the hot summer months.

Be sure to fertilize your plants with a good fertilizer at least every two to three weeks so your plant will produce a maximum amount of blooms. A commonly used fertilizer such as Miracle-Gro, Peters, or Andersons 17-17-17 is a good choice. If your plant is in the ground, a fertilizer of 15-5-10 can be used.

To boost the foliage on your Angel Trumpet, a good dose of ammonium nitrate (34-0-0) applied in early spring and late summer, is best. Use approximately three tablespoons for every two gallons of water that is applied. Ironite can also be applied once every season with the exception of winter.

Another suggestion would be to give your plant some shade during the hot part of the day. Angel Trumpets prefer full sun, but the heat from the sun can result in slowed growth, sparse or no blooms and leaf loss.

Providing Optimal Growing Conditions:

If you live in zone 9, these are long-lived perennials, but if you are in zone 8 or lower and the roots should freeze, they will die. The best thing to do is over winter them in a sunny window or prune them back and store them in a cool, dark place such as a basement. (05/02/2008)

By Mythi