Homeowners Insurance Discounts

Make sure you are getting all of the discounts you are entitled to, on your homeowners insurance. Most companies give discounts for deadbolt locks, smoke alarms, non-smokers (you are less likely to burn down the house!), and of course a central alarm system. Some companies will even give a discount for motion-detector outside lights.

Call and ask -- there may be features that you already have that entitle you to a discount, or it may be worth the investment to install something, knowing that you will get an immediate return on the investment through a discount!

By Becki in Indiana

This is so true. I recently was able to get a 15% discount for being claim free for three years. The agent was not allowed to tell me about being eligible unless I specifically asked for it.

I get a discount for having a fire hydrant within 1,000 feet from my property. The city just put another one within 100 feet of my property. Too bad I don't get another discount for that one!!