Hot Water Smells Sour?

Can the water in a hot water tank get sour? I have a bad oder coming from the hot water.

v.williamson from Greensboro, NC

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

if you have hard water some of the minerals can settle to the bottom of the tank. there is a faucet at the bottom of the tank. turn off the heater and let it cool down and hook a hose to the faucet and drain it out. you'll probably be surprised at the color of the water that first comes out. i live in an area where there is a lot of coal and the water can be almost black in the bottom of the tank. i suppose if you don't use it much or it has been turned off for a while bacteria could build up, but my guess would be minerals. good luck

By vee (Guest Post)

I have well water and the hot water smell really bad,
my husband changed the tank and the water still smelt. a guy told us that you have to take out the anold rod, we havent done that yet but plan to soon.

you might want to try that out. good luck

By leonarda (Guest Post)

I have a rotten smell from my hot water, it started to smell after buying a new hot water heater. old one never smelled had it for 15 years. had to put a rod in the new one and is smelling after one year.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingSeptember 4, 2006
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf27078376.tip.html