Need Help For My Bromeliad

Need help for my Bromeliad. We have several beautiful green and red bromeliads (indoor) at my house and recently one of them has molded in the center. I am not sure what to do or how to fix it or how it even happened. This bromelaid has another big off shoot in the same pot with little lilac flowers in the middle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help! The picture attached is similar to mine but red instead of the pink.

Angela from Painesville, Ohio

here in florida, we grow bromeliads outdoors, and they multiply by the thousands. unless your bromeliad leaves are turning brown, i don't think there's a big problem. here, the plants grow under trees or under the dripline - and the fussy gardener will "clean out" the bromeliad with a hose. but mine are happy, with dead tree leaves and insects and all kinds of yuck sitting in their cups. if you really think there's something wrong, break off the new plant and throw the larger one away.

Mother's had many gifts of Bromeliads over the years, we had them in Hawaii, and when I read more about these tropicals back then, I learned that they will often simply bloom then die, from the inside out. Check online for lengthy information...Google>bromeliad care. I believe we only watered their cup when dry. Watch for the leaves to curl, that's a sign of dryness and possible end of it's life. The large flowers that come out are their pride and joy, so don't disturb or touch the flower. They may be the lovliest flower you'll see for a while, and if not pink, are a good plant for men because of the bold leaves and growth habit.

Good luck and God bless you. : )

I have had a bromeliad plant for about 10 years and have found that when a "baby" plant pops up, the bigger "mother" plant often fades and gradually dies. I remove the mother plant when it becomes pretty brown. If I remember correctly, I gently broke them apart with my hands. The roots are pretty shallow, so it's not real tough. Good Luck!

I have the same problem with mine I just got it and it has mold growing in the center and has a very bad smell to it I'm not sure what to do if you could let me know what you did to fix it I would very grateful please and thank you!