Collecting Seeds from a Thunbergia (Black-Eyed Susan)?

I would love to know how to collect seeds from my Thunbergia (black-eyed susan vine). Sorry about the picture, it doesn't do the plant justice!

Ellen from St. Pauls, NC

By Diane (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Seeds are easy to collect from Thunbergia. When the flower drops off, you will see a seed pod remains. Let it turn brown (dry) and they will pop off easily. Split open the pod and remove the black seeds. Store them on a plastic bag in the refrigerator side door till ready to plant.

Best Answer

If you're growing it in a pot, once the season is done, bring the plant inside and let it die. It will make a mess while it's dying, but you'll find the broken open seed pods and lots of seeds. Maybe some plastic under the dying plant would help to contain the mess and collect the seeds.

See pictures of the seed pods and seed here: wwwsrc.thriftyfun.com/tf15499499.tip.html

If growing in the ground, try putting a barrel bag around the plant after it starts to die from frost. Then it's the same instructions as above, easy!

I don't know about Black Eyed Susan Vines but I used to collect my regular Black Eyed Susan seeds simply by naturally drying the flowers completely and then gently squeeze and roll the seed area with my thumb and forefinger onto a sheet of paper and then funnel them into an envelope. Store in a cool, dry place for planting in the Spring. There were so many seeds that I gave most away to family, friends and neighbors :-)

By Elaine (Guest Post)

I have been wondering the same thing. It is the first year I have had these.

They kind of took over but they are so pretty. Do you wait till there is a frost? I cannot see any seed on mine.

By Lynn (Guest Post)

After the flowers fall,there will be a litle pocket left on. Just leave it and a seed pod will form. Let the pod dry and the seeds will be inside the pod. davesgarden.com/.../

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsOctober 13, 2008
😷
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf27207083.tip.html