Dog With an Ear Infection

I have a 6 year old Pit Bull/Lab who has yeast infections in his ears. I want to use the vinegar, but he will not let me touch them; he runs. Any ideas on how to get him to let me touch them?

He is a very timid dog since all this and I don't want to get bitten. I have tried the vet thing and wow the money I have spend for it to go away for a few months and come back again. They will not give meds without you coming in even when you have been there for years and they know the dog's history. I can't afford any more bills. I have 2 kids and a husband out of work.

By Michele from Nashville, TN

Best Answer

When we have to put drops in our lab's ears, it takes two of us. My husband holds the dog (he kind of hugs it real close), and I put the drops in. I've also started putting a couple of tablespoons of yogurt in the dog's food every day, and this seems to have stopped the ear infections. You have to use the real yogurt with live cultures, that comes in the larger tub, not the kind mixed with fruit, etc.

You need to get a tube of Panalog (sp). It's for ear infections and is soothing whereas the vinegar stings and inflamed ear.

If might be wise to invest in a muzzle so that you can safely handle your dog and to teach it that the ear thing isn't so bad. Besides feeding plain yogurt try using Vagisil cream for female yeast infections, you can buy it over the counter at all drug/grocery stores. Put small amount (pea size) in the ear and massage the ear to move the cream down into the canal. Make sure that you are always talking to your dog in a low firm voice and give him lots of praise and a few treats after wards. Make the treats something special that you only feed at ear time. I use bite size boiled cow heart.

Ditch the vinegar. It stings. No wonder he fights it. Ask pharmacist to call vet for Malaseb. Vet refuses? I would change vets. The only thing the vet wants is a perpetual money source. Bet he pushes vaccines like crazy. You can order some prescription vet meds online without vet involvement. I see other suggestions including archives. Suggest improved diet. Corn is infamous for causing problems. Wheat and soy not too good either. Grocery store food all contain corn usually as first ingredient. Inexpensive home cooked with some raw is best. Lots less than grocery store food. I cook up a simple pot of good stuff if you go into my past posts you will see some good info on lots of things. Write if you need. Hugs for caring about your furkid. Happy that you want to stop the pain.

I have my dog on all nautural plain yourt. It has kept her ears from infections now for over a year. I spoon 4 level tablespoons on her food every morning. The yeast is inmune related. The yourt builds up the inmune system.This does not work overnight. It takes time for it to take effect up to several months. It is a slow process. But it is a good start .

In the meantime buy some Zymox otic Hc1.0% drops. I get it at amazon. It costs around $10.00 and it works just in a couple of days. You have to clean all that gunk out of the ears. I now keep some on hand for flair ups. Once the yourt kicks in you can decrease the amount but the dog needs to stay on it. This is still cheaper than having to buy meds all the time.

I also switched dog foods to lamb and rice which also helped with the yeast infections.

Good luck! I hope it works for your dog. Nothing thing worked on my dog's ears. I payed lots of money on many meds for my dog for years untill I found this.