PaintingHome Improvement

Latex Paint Over Oil Based Wood Stain

I'm painting some kitchen cabinets that have an oil based stain on them. Can I use a latex based paint on top?

By MOG1 from Corpus Christi,TX

Sure, just make sure you have washed off any old grease and dirt. Then sand with a fine sandpaper and wipe off the dust thoroughly. Sanding first will imbed any grease and dirt into the wood. You may also want to apply a primer before the final top coat.

If you are sure they have an oil based stain I would not use a water base paint without first applying a good oil based primer such as Kilz. In my experience it is almost impossible to get all of the oil from fingerprints and the oilbase stain from the tight spots on cupboards.

I end up in a mess so my motto is if not sure prime first with oil base. You cannot put water based paint over oil as it will not adhere and will peel. You might have better luck with the sanding than I ever have if you choose to go that route good luck. To me it easier to be sure and prime in the first place.

I think after you sand the cabinets, you better paint them with a primer like Kilz. It's exactly for projects like yours. If you put latex paint over oil based stain or paint the latex will peel off when it dries. You have to use a primer.

Yes you can, but first you must sand it, prime the surface with an oil-based primer such as Kilz, let it dry, then lightly sand it, dust it and then you can apply your latex paint. (This answer is from my husband who is a professional union painter with over 35 years of experience).