Removing Yellow Stains from Vintage Crochet Tablecloth

I have my mother's crocheted tablecloth that is 66 yrs old, but it has a few yellow stains. How do I get them out? The tablecloth is not white, it is off white. Will this make a difference on what I use?

Thanks

By Darlene from Dannebrog, NE

Best Answer

Two things I would try would be white vinegar and, if that doesn't work, you could try an oxidizing cleanser like Oxyclean and allow it to soak.

Best Answer

I have gotten stains out with first some peroxide and then I let it sit. I squirted some dish soap on it and rubbed it and let it sit some more. I got stains out of a satin Baptism dress this way only it was white. They were in there for years.

Best Answer

I use lemon juice and salt and put in the sun to draw the stains out, just soak in a cup of reconstructed (cheap kind) lemon juice add l/4 cup salt to it. The salt draws out the stain into the salt. if this fails treat each stain by laying flat over a plastic screen pour lemon juice on and add salt and let the sun draw.

Sorry, but scientifically, this is nonsense. The lemon juice may indeed break the stain down and sunlight is a good natural bleach but the salt doesn't do what you suggest.

White vinegar would do the same as lemon juice with out adding another source of complication. Biz soak in plain water is safer.

Pros use orvus for age yellowing. It is available in the feed store or online. It is actually a horse wash that is soapless. An amazing product that is very gentle.