BooksEntertainment

Favorite Books

What is/are your most favorite book(s) that you've ever read or are reading now?

By Cica

I just completed reading the series Earth's Children by Jean Auel. Awesome!
Also, a series by Christopher Paolini: Inheritance. I can't wait for the 4th and final book due to come out on Nov 8th! Fun reading especially for "tweens" lol

Madelein l' Engles has a series of books about a family of scientists and their adventures have captivated me since I was just 10 years old. They are:
A Wrinkle in Time
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
A Wind in the Door
Many Waters

Another wonderful kids book is "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell.

This is about a young Native American girl during the time of long ships, who is left alone on an island with her little brother. After an incident, she must learn to forgive and love someone she thought she never could.

"The Talking Totum Pole" is a childs book about lessons learned by North American children from a Northwest Tribe again, a long time ago.

And for adult books there is the "To Kill a Mockingbird" classic.

I have also read every one of King and Koontz books, so don't ask me to pick a fav' from that very long list!

Hope you try some of the younger set's books, as they bring us back to when we were young and book actually kept us busy. Oh, the good old days.

I loved reading Little Women after the Winona Rryder film. I loved the film but loved the book more. Also, I have read the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella. They are so easy to read and so funny.

Susan Southern. Liverpool, UK.

Love anything by Elizabeth George. She wrote the Inspector Lynley books. Totally engrossing.

The Help is the greatest book. It was to funny three of us friends who only know each other form Face Book were reading it at the same time.I'm older than these two, for a young girl to want to stay in on a weekend night to read is wonderful but two! I recommend reading it before the movie,as always the book is much better.

A few of the books that I have enjoyed recently:
Alexander McCallSmith books In the Company of Cheerful Ladies

The Careful Use of Compliments
The World According to Bertie
The Double Comfort Safari Club
I always enjoy his books
Anne Tyler Digging to America
Fannie Flagg Welcome to the World Baby Girl
Jasper FForde Shades of Grey & the Thursday Next books
He is very good but you have to get into the "mindset" ditto Audrey Niffenegger The Time Travellers Wife

Just had a thought, dont know your age,

Better stop now, got reading to do! I hope you find some of these bring you joy!
Lesley

Anonymous

I have so many favorites but my very first one when I was thirteen was 'The Outsiders' which used my favorite Robert Frost poem. Now there's a newly published book that uses a line from that poem as the title, "Nothing Gold Can Stay."

The Englishwoman's Loveletters by Anonymous, although written in 1850 something, it is still published today and is beautifully written.
A Winters Tale by Mark Helprin
Dewey, the small town library cat by Vicki Myron
Don Fendler, Lost in Kathadin
The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
There, that's my top five! A quote, I dont know the author:
"A good book is never exhausted, it goes on whispering to you from the wall".

My latest favorites are mysteries by Gail Bowen and sci fi by Robert J. Sawyer. Any book by either author. English mysteries by Agatha Christie. I've read them all (maybe 76 of them).

Individual books -- Island of the Blue Dolphins.
The Englishman's Boy by Guy Vanderhaugh
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Secret Lives of Sargent John Wilson (based on true events) by Lois Simmie
Who Has Seen the Wind by W. O. Mitchell

Children's books -- the Harry Potter series -- all of them -- read them in order
any children's book by Bob Munch -- esp The Paperbag Princess
Pippi Longstocking books
Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner.

First let me compliment you on an awesome post I never would have thought of. I am currently reading an old Dean Koontz book that somehow escaped me years ago called "Winter Moon." Last I discovered the author Stephanie Meyer with her book "The Host" which will stay with you for a long time. If you liked the movie "The Village" you will know what I mean.

Seven Steps To Eternity by Stephen Turoff

When I lost my beloved husband through cancer, it was the best support I could have ever had and kept me sane.

Two books I really enjoyed reading are "The Shack" by William P Young and "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent.

Wow, we're a bunch of bookworms here on TF!
I know we all have our fave books & genres, and everyone whose lists I've read are great. My classic fave has always been Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I've probably read it half a dozen times. Another old fave is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

I also have fave series & authors, although Harry Potter isn't on the list. I adore every Dean Koontz book I've read, starting with... I think the title was Flight 29? His Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series are both excellent.
My daughter highly recommends Jonathan Kellerman, and I enjoy him, too. However, I prefer Elizabeth George. Read her Inspector Lynley series in order so you don't miss anything. I wish I could recall the name of the first in that series. Well-Schooled in Murder? Hmm...

I'm looking forward to The Shack and Heaven is for Real, but I have one more quirky book to recommend. It's a police drama called The Fault Tree. The author's last name is Ure. It was a surprisingly good one and treated the main character's blindness almost as an afterthought, but with dignity and humor.

I am reading the "Simple Dollar" by Trent Hamm. It is a really good read, especially if you are trying to stay frugal like I am. I am going through Kindle's free books one by one as they interest me. I keep my tablet with me most of the time, and read every free moment that I have.

Anything by Nicholas Sparks.

One of my all time favorites is Three by Ted Dekker. It's suspense with no bad language and guaranteed to keep you reading to the end. The book is ten times better than the movie.

What is the best book you have ever read, fiction, that you still remember even though it may have been many years ago and why did you like it?

I love to hear about books that people read, and why they liked them so much.

Blessings

By Robyn from TN

Answers

I never read "fiction", per say, growing up I read a lot of fantasy and one book that was hard to set down was "Tales of the Vulgar Unicorn". It was written by several authors of the time. Each author wrote a short story about a different character. The link was a tavern called the Vulgar Unicorn. Some of the stories interacted with some of the others and some of the characters introduced in some of the stories were main characters in later stories. It was very entertaining.

The book I have read the most is To Kill a Mocking Bird. Others are A Wrinkle in Time, Island of the Blue Dolphin, and all of the King and Koontz books...seriously, all of them. Who has time for much else, right?

But I have been able to read others in between. I loved Sparks Message in a Bottle, and others as The Postman, and The Firm. If you want intrigue and a really good ending, I recommend The Other Side of Midnight and If Tomorrow Comes.

Now that is what I call a reading list!!

Anonymous

I have to share my very first favorite book. It was Danny Kaye's 'Stories From Far Away Places' during the early 60's when I was in about the second or third grade. The next favorite book, which is the one that turned me into an avid reader and lover of history, was during the fourth grade and it was a biography about Madame Curie. Since then? Wow, so many good books but if I have to choose just one it would be Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead'.

I love:
"Anywhere but here" Mona Simpson
"The giant's house" Elizabeth McCracken
"Green grass of Wyoming" Mary O'Hara
"The warden's niece" (alsoknown as "Maria escapes") Gillian Avery
"The pursuit of love" Nancy Mitford
"Two flamboyant fathers" Nicolette Devaux (?)
"Peachtree Road" Anne Rivers Simmons

However a lot of my favourites are non-fiction, for example:
"The egg and I" Betty MacDonald
"Into the wild" Jon Krakauer

Hope we can all exchange some ideas for further reading.

Julia