Spider Repellent Recipes

Q: I am looking for a spider deterrent for my patio area. I have pets and so do not want to use chemicals or toxic products. I do not want to kill the spiders, I would prefer a homemade solution that I could spray or apply around the "people" areas of my garden.

Any ideas?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Danamango From Montreal, Canada

A: Danamango,

If you get rid of the insects they eat, you will eventually get rid of the spiders. I have seen the following home remedies for repelling spiders. I've never tried any of these myself, but they certainly sound interesting. If you (or anyone on this site) try one of these methods, let me know if it works!

• Chestnuts: place them around patio doors and around the perimeter of the balcony or deck to repel spiders.

• Strong Essential Oils: (Canola, cedarwood, citronella, garlic, lavender, cinnamon, peppermint, tea tree oil, etc.) Combine 5 drops of any of these oils to 1 quart of water and a bit of dish detergent. Spray around desired areas.

• Chewing Tobacco: Add 1 package of chewing tobacco to 1 gallon of boiling water and let cool. Strain and save liquid. Add 1 cup of the liquid to a 1/2 cup of lemon scented dish detergent. Pour into a spray bottle and treat the desired area. (Recipe by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener).

• Lemons: Spiders taste with their feet and are repelled by lemon oil, and even lemon-scented pledge. (This advice is supposed to be straight from the folks at Arachnophobia-the movie).

• Osage Orange (Horse Apples): Quarter them and place them around the perimeter of affected areas.

Ellen

Answers

By Linda Valentine (Guest Post)

Try making a spray mixture of dishwashing deterrgent and water. I don't know about spiders but no insect likes the taste of soap. I use this in the garden and it works just fine.

By KAREN N. (Guest Post)

I tried dried lavender (about 3 Tbsp.) mixed with vinegar. (About 2 cups.) Let it sit for a couple of days. I poured it around my porch and let it drip down to the ground. Never saw a single spider for 2 years in or out of the house. The 2nd time id di not work. Don't know why. Got the idea from some guy who writes books on natural gardening.

By carol Lesiuk (Guest Post)

Chestnuts do not work. I even tried something you plug in to an electrical outlet, it didn't work. I am going to try the lemon thing. Thanks. We have brickwork on our deck, they love it.

By Carol Lesiuk (Guest Post)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you The lemon pledge worked ..... amazing. Thanks again. I also bought lemon oil, so am going to try that with water and a little detergent, as it will go further. I used two cans of lemon pledge around my sun deck. worked like a charm. Just not sure how often I have to do it, but I guess the spiders will let me know.

Also, Eucalyptus will keep spiders away.

By Shawn F (Guest Post)

I've yet to try the chestnuts but friends that swear by it say the important thing of it is that there fresh picked chestnuts and only work for the season.

By Scaredy (Guest Post)

I have a major, major case of arachnophobia and just moved into a ground floor apartment (not the smartest idea, I know). I placed several chestnuts at my doors, windows, in closets, and nooks and crannies. I also sprinkled red pepper flakes at doors and windows as I heard this can be a good deterrent.

Very unfortunately for me, neither of these things worked! There was a big one in my place just a few days after moving in so I am going to try the lemon pledge and lemon oil route. I also want to try and avoid poisons as I have respiratory problems.

By Daniel (Guest Post)

I'm trying to keep spiders out of my shed. I've tried vinegar, lemon curd, pepper and conkers all of them don't work.

Answer this Question

10 More Questions

Is there a plant, oil, lotion, etc. that will keep me from getting bitten by spiders?

By liddycoat from Wenatchee, WA

Answers

One thing is don't drink things like pop or things very sweet, it makes your blood sweet which is what they want. This will also help with mosquitoes too. If you don't drink things that are sweet and sugary, your blood will be bitter and they won't want it.

Are you sure that you are getting bitten by spiders? are they abscesses/boils instead? It is more common for people to have repeat abscesses/boils than repeat spider bites.

Yes I'm sure that we are definitely being bitten by spiders. And no I don't like sweets really, occasional fresh fruit is about as sweet as i can handle most of the time. But thank you for answering me. Any other suggestions?

If the spider problem is in your home, you should see about fixing that before you do anything to discourage them from biting you. Being prone to spider bites would severely creep me out and I'd be looking to get rid of them before anything else.

A spider bite or two is normal once in awhile but if you're getting more than that then you need to stay away from areas where spiders hang out and populate or, as Spanish Girl mentions, if they are in your home you need to rid the inside of your home of the spiders. There really isn't anything that is going to stop them from biting you other than staying away from them.

Answer this Question

Can someone give me some ideas to help me keep spiders out of my home?

By Geraldine from Milford, CT

Answers

Try to go through your place & seal up any tiny cracks that may allow any critters to get in through. Also don't leave doors open buy for a second.

Spiders don't like peppermint. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and set them out where the spiders come in or where you see them.

Spiders hate lavender. Spray areas using a mix of lavender oil and water (1:5 or to your strength; I love lavender so mine is pretty potent). I've also used commercial sprays with lavender that have done the job. Great for your linen closet too!

Of course sprigs of lavender around would work too.

I have spider mite sacs all over the ceiling of my front porch. Not even spraying them with a hose works to get rid of them.

By Billie

I see peppermint oil keeps mice away. I have been told it also stops spiders if put round windows and door ledges. Anyone heard of this and do you mix it with water and at what ratio?

I manage an apartment complex in a rainy area and there are a lot of spiders (especially pumpkin spiders). I'm having to knock down webs daily. I am trying to find a repellent that will not harm children, adults, cats, or plants that can still be effective when wet and can be used to cover large areas.

By Malinda

What is a natural spider repellent?

By Budd from Fox Lake, IL

Answers

Try this...
add 1/2 oz. coconut oil to one quart of white vinegar

Coconut oil may be found in the grocery store in the baking section or in the snack section next to the popcorn oil. Health food stores will also carry it. It is solid at cool temperatures so you may need to warm it to a liquid form. Pour into a spray bottle and shake well to mix, then spray away. Be careful around delicate linens or furniture, it may stain. Best use is for outdoors, basements, garages etc.

Answer this Question

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

What is a natural deterrent to spiders in the home?

I am looking for spider repellent suggestions.

Is there a natural, safe repellent that I could put on the house so that the spiders won't get established?

Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersAugust 26, 2011
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf279075.tip.html