BusinessBusiness and Legal

Managing a Self Storage Facility

My husband and I are going to manage a self storage facility. I could use some help in choosing businesses to target for marketing . I would appreciate any help and any ideas about the marketing since we are brand new at this.

Thank you all,
Terri from Indiana

By Amanda in VA (Guest Post)

I just rented a storage unit because I want to sell my house, and I need to make it look "move-in" ready. I will probably use the unit for close to six months total. That's not a long-term client, I realize, but it is a real need in today's real estate market. You might be able to talk a real estate agent into renting a unit and then "loaning" the unit to one client at a time as an additional service.

I also know a lot of people who rent small units just for their holiday decorations. Not sure how you would market to those people... maybe an ad somewhere. Most guys would love to have their garage space back instead of having it used for storage.

Target moving companies in your area; offer a coupon for a certain amount off the first month's storage-area rent.

If you have Welcome Wagon in your area, that's another source targeted at new move-ins.

Realtors might also be willing to put coupons for your business in with their welcome packages for new homeowners.

The weekly free newspapers often focus on area businesses and might be willing to feature yours.

Good luck!

By bailegirl (Guest Post)

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned, what about small businesses, especially ones that are home-based. Most people don't have enough stoarge space to maintain any kind of inventory, and often not enough space for keeping the needed records. You might want to think about contacting your local small business association and/or the chamber of commerce.