Growing a Crepe Myrtle

Question:

I want to purchase a crepe myrtle, they seem to grow very well in my area of central Kentucky. I am looking for some guidelines as to planting and caring for it before I buy one.

Thanks ahead of time for any info,
Sandy

Answer:

Sandy,

Here are a few things to keep in mind before buying your Crepe Myrtle:

Depending on your needs, Crepe myrtles come in shrub varieties of 3-5 ft. or trees that grow as tall as 25-35 feet. Crepe myrtles in containers can be planted any time of the year, but burlap wrapped, balled or bare-root plants establish roots better if planted in the fall or dormant season, as their roots remain active even without leaves. All crepe myrtles should be planted in well-drained soil with exposure to full sun. They like moist compost but dislike wet conditions. Make sure they receive good air circulation to help reduce the incidence of disease. They will generally tolerate a wide range of soil conditions, including pH ranges from 5.0-6.0. Perform a soil test to determine how much fertilizer is needed. Over application can result in a loss of cool weather hardiness. Limited pruning can be performed in winter. Flowers are produced on current season growth so flowers will develop after pruning.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Around here (Dallas, TX), they suffer from powdery mildew, which can be caused by growing the plant where it doesn't get much air circulation.

So make sure to place it where it will get plenty of breezes and sunlight.

Plant in the morning. After you have selected a sunny location and dug your hole, fill with some vitamin-b liquid/water and let your tree soak an hour. With your tree in the hole then mix some miracle gro/water pour over and fill your dirt up.
Put some mulch around it. Feed your tree(s) every season change with miracle-gro. Very simple and your tree(s) will love you for it.
Crape myrtles do well is the sun. Pick a sunny location and it will bloom constantly from July thru
mid September. Bushes grow faster it seems and you can shape as a tree if you like. A real favorite of mine. Happy planting!

The leaves on my crepemyrtle looked stressed. So I water it on daily. It is about two weeks old so tell me what will help.

I just planted about 80 plants down my 600 ft lane on both sides, but only the 18 foot wide road is open for sun. Road is from east to west which gives sun from 10 to 5pm or 6. Is this enough for the Crepe myrtle tree to survive? I cut about 2 foot sticks off a tree and just push them a foot in tje ground. 1/2" to I 1/2" in dia. I find out that even 1/8 twigs will sprout fine as long as the ground is damp. I live in Mississippi delta clay dirt which is like stone when dry, but turns to mud when soaked.

Also why is it that the common color purple ones grow like weeds, buy the pretty ones that are dark marron are hard to grow and end up with allot of rock green growth on them? Peddle and fuzzy green hair that feels dry that kills everything. Me at zpinkpanther AT Juno.com