Removing Scuff Marks on Walls

Category Walls
Care must be taken when removing scuff marks from painted and unpainted walls to prevent damage to the finish. This is a guide about removing scuff marks on walls.

Try using a pencil eraser to remove black smudges from white walls.

Any ideas on how to remove scuff marks (from furniture not shoes) off a painted wall? I tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser, it worked a little, but took paint off the wall.

By Scuffmarked for Life? from Orange County, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Do not use Magic Eraser on matte walls; it is just too strong. It will strip the paint and leave you with dark marks that don't match your paint. I have not figured out a better solution than a mild cleaner and two buckets: fill 1 bucket with your cleaner and water and fill the 2nd with just clear water for rinsing. Grab 2 of those cellouse sponges and don't forget your elbow grease-you'll need it! I also find its good to go from bottom to top to catch all the drips- if not you 'll have streaky walls.

Best Answer

Try using toothpaste and a sponge. It did wonder. All you have to do is apply the toothpaste on the mark and scrub!

Best Answer

Hello,
Please try a pencil eraser.

Best Answer

When every other solution did not work, on my white wood doors, jams, and moldings, I used a very small amount of Bar Keepers Friend (Bon ami cleanser is also very gentle) on a damp cloth and rinsed well. It worked for me!

Some of the doors and walls in my home have black scuff marks on them. I have tried everything I can think of to get it off. Please help.

Susan from Arizona

Answers

Have you tried the new Magic Eraser yet? It's like a sponge and it's pretty amazing. It might be worth a try. I know Mr Clean makes it but I think there are other brands, too.

Anonymous

Antibacterial gel works very well. I've had good success with ink, scuff marks, adhesives and it hasn't harmed any surface I've used it on.

I'm sure you'll get lots of hints re the marks but I'd like to add a hint for the future. When redecorating use scrubbable easy clean paint - its slightly more expensive but well worth the money. I have 3 dogs and there are always areas that get dirty or scuffed as they jump or even brush past them. One dog had an ear injury a few weeks ago and it was days before I discovered she had shaken her head and sprayed fine spots of blood on the bottom of the wall in the lounge room. All these 'accidents' and dirty/scuff marks come off with a damp cloth and some home made cleaning spray, (cloudy ammonia, a drop of detergent and water).

Regards

Jo

Try toothpaste (paste not gel). Rub in and wipe off.

I would try rubbing alcohol & see if that works. It was recommended to me for removing black scuff marks on my dress shoes & it worked great.

Have you tried an ordinary eraser? This is what I usually use, but it takes a lot of rubbing.

It was suggested to me today that I use car wax or linoleum and hard wood floors by a friend whose been using this for years.

Rubbing alcohol works really well.

There is a little known product called Spray Nine which I can only find in hardware stores in my area. It is more expensive than basic cleaners but I use a lot less of it. Go to http://www.knightmkt.com/ to find a retailor near you!

I used Avon's Astringent Cleansing Lotion, and it worked like a charm. I barely even had to rub on it..

If you get "goo gone" or "goo be gone", that works well with a bit of scrubbing.

I used rubbing alcohol on walls/doors and it worked beautifully! It DOES, however, remove some of the paint! So use caution and don't rub too aggressively. I was amazed at how easily black tennis shoe scuff marks came off. I also used on various marks of unknown origin (probably from furniture hitting the walls), and I didn't find anything rubbing alcohol wouldn't remove. I have tried a number of cleaners, none of which worked at all. Again, use caution as it will remove some paint in the process. I would suggest only using on light colored walls/doors.

Thanks for the hint about the rubbing alcohol. I had some scuff marks on the wall from luggage wheels. It did take away some of the off-white paint, but it is better than black scuff marks.

STOP! DON"T TRY IT! After reading about success with rubbing alcohol posted here, I tried removing black scuff marks from a RED painted wall with rubbing alcohol with disastrous results. It removed enough paint that it is very noticeable. This is a high-quality washable paint. My advice is don't try this - just repaint. It's less work and ultimately you are going to have to do it anyway.

Just tried the toothpaste suggestion, and it works!

Using toothpaste to remove scuff marks worked really well. Thanks a lot for the tip!

I'm looking for a tried and tested method of washing walls to remove scuff marks as part of a spring clean! I live in a rented flat so just repainting the walls isn't an option. I don't want to wash the existing matte paint off by scrubbing too hard! Thanks :o)

By Amanda

Thanks for the ball trick I will try it out! I haven't been able to find anything to take scuff marks off of MDF board, that we have on the walls of our gym.
Any ideas?
Thanks.