Make Frozen Pesto from Home Grown Basil

Use as much of the harvest from your garden as you can, freeze, can, and dry. My basil went crazy this year! I made 10 cups of pesto and still had some left to dry. Pesto can be added to just about any dinner. I freeze portions in a 1 cup plastic container then remove and vacuum seal. When ready to use one, take it out of the bag (which I save and wash) and put it back in the 1 cup bowl to put in the refrigerator It only takes about a 1/2 hour to fully thaw a cup or just cut some off and throw it in your hot pasta dish.

By Melissa M. from MI

Top Comment

I'm sorry, I never saw this reply till now.

I use a cup or 2 of basil leaves (meaning smashed into a cup). About 1/2 - 1 cup of sliced almonds (I don't like pine nuts), and lots of garlic (probably about 5 cloves). I put all that in the food processor till well chopped. I then add some Extra virgin Olive Oil till it's moist, not soggy. Then taste it, I add more of any ingredient to my taste. Keeps in the frig. for several weeks.

Top Comment

Here's another picture:

Would you mind sharing your pesto recipe, my basil went bonkers this year also. I love it in tomato bisque. Thanks.

Food and Recipes Freezing HerbsOctober 27, 2010
🍀
💘