I do monthly grocery shopping, when I buy groceries in bulk. However, I buy fresh produce and items such as bread and milk, on a regular basis. Sometimes, though, I run out of milk, because I tend to forget that the milk is running low. This chalk memo board on the fridge will make it easier to remember when it is time to stop at the nearest grocery shop on my way home from work.
Approximate Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- small wooden box size 7.6 x 7.6 inch *
- one bamboo skewer
- scrapbook embellishments of a fork and a knife
- blackboard paint
- acrylics paint in the following two colors: plum and white
- water-based varnish
- 10/32 inch brush
- fan-shaped paint brush
- thin paintbrush
- self adhesive magnetic sheet
- strong bonding glue
- fine sanding paper
- small handsaw
- old dry cloth
- few sheets of old newspaper to protect the working area
- piece of colored or white chalk
* You may of course use any size wooden box, depending on availability, and on your personal needs.
- Sandpaper the whole box thoroughly inside and out. Dust well with a dry cloth before starting to paint.
- Using a 10/32" brush, paint the side ends of the box, inside and out, with the plum-colored paint. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.
- Clean the brush and then, using the same brush again, paint the inside bottom of the box and the insides of the side panels with the blackboard paint.
- Allow the paint to dry thoroughly and apply a second coat of blackboard paint, and allow the paint to dry thoroughly again.
- Using a fan-shaped paint brush, give the plum-colored outer sides and the edges of the box a wash with the white acrylic paint. Remember not to use too much paint when using a fan-shaped brush, as this will lose the fan-shaped effect. Remove excess paint by dabbing it onto a sheet of newspaper before starting to paint. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Use the 10/32" brush to paint the outer sides and the edges of the box with a water-based varnish. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Turn the box upside down. Cut strips from the self adhesive magnetic sheet, peel the protecting paper off and adhere the strips to the back of the box. I used 3 strips, but if necessary, you can apply more strips.
- Measure the bamboo skewer to the length of the bottom of the box. Make a pencil mark and use the handsaw to cut it to the correct length.
- Use the thin paintbrush to paint the skewer with the plum-colored acrylics. Let it dry thoroughly, and then give it a wash with the white paint. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly again before painting the skewer with the water-based varnish.
- Using strong bonding glue, glue the shortened skewer in position. The skewer will prevent the chalk from falling off when the door of the fridge is opened or closed.
- Glue the scrapbook embellishments in place and voila! Your chalk memo board is ready!
By Benetta from Pretoria, Gauteng