Washing Dry Clean Only Clothes

I just bought a lovely pair of Ann Taylor slacks at a Thrift Store. I didn't think to check the care label. It says "Dry Clean Only". The fabric is 91% triacetate, and 29% polyester. Can triacetate be hand-washed?

By VBartlett from Columbus, IN

I have quite a few things that say dry clean only. I have one word for you, cold water. That is the most important cleaning part for dry clean only clothes. Also hand or lay flat to dry. May not come out looking perfect but sure beats spending the money at the cleaners.

Anonymous

You most certainly can! Just use cold water, gentle washing liguid and, as was already mentioned, lay flat to dry or you can hang on a proper hanger in a pinch. Triacetate is shrink resistant, wrinkle resistant, easily washed and maintains pleat retention. If you do need to iron be sure to put the heat setting of the iron on medium and use a thin white cotton cloth between the slacks and the iron to protect the fabric from iron marks and/or melting.

Wendy Calbers advice:
She is very accurate. My family has been involved in dry cleaning for over 40 years. There are many different cleaning solvents now, and perc is not being used in many newer cleaners. Once again, her statements about hidden stains are wonderful.

Forget dry cleaners. I have not been for years. Think about the finer fabrics, wool, linen, silk, cashmere. They were all invented before dry cleaning. I do all of the above on the delicate cycle. For silk, roll up the item and store in the freezer until ready to iron It is actually the ironing and pressing that is the challenge. But there is a system for getting a professional look. I will post that another time. Think of the chemicals you are keeping out of your life if you do it yourself.