Carpet Stain Remover Recipes

An unsightly spot on a carpet can be difficult to remove. This guide is about carpet stain remover recipes.

Even inexpensive shampoo works well to remove carpet stains. This is a guide about using shampoo as a carpet stain remover.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Here's hint/tip on a homemade all-purpose carpet cleaning solution. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and water (half & half). Spray then lay down paper towels on the spot. It will help lift a lot of spills.

I have a beige rug that has some stains. Does anyone know the best homemade cleaning product for this, if anything?

By sooners from Baldwin, NY

Answers

The best I have found is this, it is also the simplest:

White Vinegar
Baking Soda
Water

Mix it into a paste, and apply with a toothbrush. Let dry and then vacuum up baking soda.

What do I do about diarrhea on the carpet?

By Mar F

Does anyone have a good homemade spot remover recipe for carpets? Woolite does pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone had a better one.

Tammy from Herrin, IL

Does anyone have a homemade solution to treat stains or spots on carpeting? I currently use an expensive product that works great, but would like an alternative. I have a light colored carpet with kids and cats! It is a nightmare to keep clean. (Wish I could afford new carpeting!)

Patt

Post your favorite recipes and ideas.

Answers:

Carpet Stain Remover Recipe

Mix equal parts of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide and rub or brush on stain. I've used this many times and never had it discolor my carpeting. However, as always, test in a hidden location first to be sure your carpet will not be discolored.

By Tori (04/14/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Carpet Stains

Got a stain on your carpet, use Spray and Wash before you clean it, spray and let it set for a few minutes and the stain will disappear. It works great for your pets accidents, it even gets the odor out.

By Debby Dee
(05/24/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

Buy ammonia from the Dollar store and a spray bottle. Fill 1/2 of bottle with water and other 1/2 with ammonia. Works Great! This mixture got red wine out of very light tan carpet. Use brush with soft bristles in circular motion or cloth in circular motion.

(06/17/2005)

By Tracy

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

I have gotten lots of stains out of my carpet and sofa with a baby wipe. I may take some elbow grease but it works for me! (06/18/2005)

By Ann

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

The one and only thing to use for light color carpets is Spot Shot. You can find it at Walmart, Home Depot, and some grocery stores. It is worth it. I have two dogs and many accidents later, my carpet still looks as good as new! Buy it today. It works on alll spots even old ones.

(06/18/2005)

By Beth

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

Buy Carpet Cleaner at the Dollar Store. It is a super cleaner and better than the expensive brands. I have light grey carpeting and cats. The cleaner removes all the stains from urine and hair balls. It comes in a red container and is called "Awesome Spot and Stain Remover", and it is awesome. (06/18/2005)

By Sally

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

To get stubborn spots out of light colored carpeting, try spraying the spot with some Windex and then use a toothbrush and a soft clean cloth to remove the stain. It even worked on coffee stains! (I have not tried it on dark carpeting.) This great tip came from one of the carpet cleaners at our elementary school. (06/26/2005)

By Holly

Urine Odor Removal from Dog/Cat

• 4 TBS Vinegar
  • 2 Cups Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 2 TBS Lemon Dishsoap
  • 1 TBS Lemon Juice
  • 2 TBS Baking Soda

Mix in 1 QT bottle with water

Removes odors from that dog and/or cat. (08/31/2005)

By VegasJack

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

My uncle has installed carpet for 30+ years and he said to use ordinary shaving cream to spot clean stains or spills. Do it as soon as possible to the affected area. It only cost a $1.00 at most stores for the cheap kind. (08/31/2005)

By seamstress

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

I tried using some actual carpet pre-treating spray. I used a toothbrush to gently spread, but not scrub it into the carpet. Then use shaving cream and spread that over the stains gently, as well. Let it sit for a few minutes, blot or use your steam cleaner.

The shaving cream is thick and sometimes doesn't come all the way up, so I poured club soda over the left overs which made it bubble up and easier to blot or suck up with your attachments. I was able to get out a ton of dirt stains that hadn't ever come out. My son just used an orange sharpie to draw on the carpet. This process made the stain fade a lot and it is now barely visible! Also: Windex works great for stains, as well. But make sure you only use the clear kind!

(10/04/2005)

By Misty

Carpet Stain Remover - Tips and Recipes

I have been using a make-it-yourself carpet and stain remover for years now, it works pretty well. I use my mop bucket in which I place a tbsp. of either Dawn dishwashing liquid, or Gain laundry detergent. I then add warm water, using an egg beater or whisk, to cause lots of bubbles. I then use a sponge to apply the bubbles to the stained areas or one section of carpet at a time. I then let it dry a little while and then vacuum the carpet. It cleans pretty good and makes the carpet smell great. (04/20/2007)

By Rhonda