MiscellaneousCleaning

Slime Mold Problems

Category Miscellaneous

I have a landscaped area that faces the north along the side of the house. I just put cedar mulch down this year around my hostas. We have had an unusual amount of rain this July in Bourbonnais, Illinois. It hasn't had a chance to dry out there. From looking at pictures of slime mold that looks like dog vomit (grayish in color and becomes a black powder when struck by a broom), I believe that is what I have.

My concern is that it is close to the cinder block foundation and appeared to be heading up the vinyl siding of my house. Is there cause for concern that it is getting between the vinyl and the foam insulation of the house. I just cleaned that area with a 50/50 solution of water and bleach. Please advise.

By Kristine Hite (Guest Post)

I work for a company that tests for mold in schools etc. Their suggestion to me was use bleach. If your 50/50 solution doesn't work, increase the bleach content. Here in south Louisiana we have a lot of water and resultant mold. I have a green/slimy mold as well and the bleach works well for us.

Hope this helps.