MetalCleaning

Electrolytic Method For Cleaning Silver

The easiest way to clean your silver is by the electrolytic method. Boil a quart of water in a non-aluminum pot. adds a Tbsp. or two of baking soda and a Tbsp. of salt. Put a 4 inch piece of aluminum or a crumpled ball into the pot. Put each piece of silver in separately. DO NOT STACK. The tarnish collects on the foil (and any silver that's sticking out of the water) Remove pieces with tongs after 5 minutes

Source: Mary Ellen's Clean House by Dale Burg

By Randa from San Marcos, TX

Do not use this method on silverplate or on antique silver. It will damage both. I have used this for years on my tableware and contemporary sterling with good results, but it has ruined my plated pieces and my antique silver.