House PlantsGardening

Amending Outdoor Planting Mix for House Plants

I bought a perennial and annual outdoor planting mix. Is there anyway I can modify it to suit indoor plants? I have heard coffee grounds are good, any other suggestions?

By Bilbo from Iowa City, IA

Showing my own ignorance, I'm sure, but I had no idea there was any difference between indoor and outdoor potting soil as I've used the same bag for both. As far as coffee grounds, I've only heard of using them on specific outdoor plants, in particular, roses! Just goes to show 'ya (meaning me) that relativity remains a big question mark! :-)

Well I have gardened for many years and I don't think there is a difference. If it is just "garden soil", then yes, you would want to amend it. Buy a bag of compost and mix it with the garden soil, about 1/2 and 1/2.

There is a difference the indoor potting mix is going to have more peat moss in it than and outdoor mix as well as the fact that an indoor soil was also baked in a kiln to kill any unwanted seed or plant material that may have been in the soil before being baked. I would just buy a new bag of potting mix and use the other outside next spring.

Thanks everybody! Going to buy a bag of compost now! Well, tomorrow. Now it's bedtime. :)

Outdoor mix is not heat treated, as indoor is, indoor also usually has more filler and water absorbing properties. So if you use the outdoor in you may have some "weed" growth, would have to water more often, but mixing with indoor mix adding some of that white stuff "peri-lite" stuff would help. Out door would probably compact a little more. Actually I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Unless your putting some really expensive indoor plant in the pot. The biggest concern to the plant would be drainage issues and water issues. The main reason they have an indoor variety is it's a controled invironment issue, flower pots dry out much faster then outdoor plantings. Good luck. Watch how much compost material and type you add, some manures can create too much "heat" for a plant that is subject to it's strength.