AdviceOrganizing

Transporting Board Games

I do private tutoring and often take board games in Spanish to work. The boxes are starting to become worn. When I bring them to work, I hand carry the boxes, holding them so that the tops don't fall off the bottoms and pull a backpack on wheels with text books at the same time. As soon as this backpack breaks, I am planning on purchasing a folding box with a handle and wheels, but will have the situation where the game boxes (like Monopoly for example) will be placed in the crate on their short ends.

Does anyone methods of securely maintaining closure between the lids and bases so the contents don't fall out, yet the boxes remain uncreased?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

I would recommend giving up on the boxes. Get some of the oversized ziploc bags and repack the games in the ziplocs. You could even use smaller ones inside to organize the various pieces. You could retain the box top/ bottoms by trimming off the sides. These might also allow you to slip some of the games into your rolling bag- free hands! The ziplocs will actually do a better job of protecting the game components for longer wear.

If you are absolutely attached to using the boxes, try using jumbo binder clips to hold the box together.

if you want to keep the boxes from tearing up you can buy some clear contact paper that way you can see what games you have and also keep them safe

How about large rubber bands around them or velcro straps you could make or those nylon small bungee straps the sell at wal-mart in all sizes.

I started keeping jigsaw puzzles in gallon ziploc baggies w/ the picture of the puzzle cut from the box & folded up in the bag. When our board game boxes started to wear, I put all the game pieces in gallon ziploc baggies & just stack the boards flat. It's easy to grab the bag then find the board that goes w/ it.

Go to your closest Container Store, or www.containerstore.com or 1-800-733-3583

Item is called: Game Savers, comes in 3 sizes for different games sizes and range from $12.99 to $14.99. Tax deductible since it is for business purposes; and games are expensive these days.

Colors available are: blue, purple and orange and they come with preprinted, self-adhesive lables included.

Squ #:10031871
10091872
10040297

I see some great ideas posted here. My idea isnt as good, but perhaps more affordable. I see white gift boxes at the dollar store that are 3 for $1. I am wondering if you could put the board game and its box inside the new white gift box. Its rather like a slipcover... (lol)

Kudos to a great teacher! Keep up the good work.

I'm with Phyllis. I swear by the Game Savers! I used them much more heavily when I did day care, but they still hold all of my family's games now.

Bonus in the Container store is that they have lots of little containers to hold the game pieces in so they're not thrown all over the box.

I'm just waiting for Ikea or someone else to make knock-offs so they're not so expensive!

How about, putting a stip of velcro from the bottom to the cover on the outside. This way you can velcro it opened and closed and they won't just slip open. I would think a two inch piece on each side of the box should do it.

Good luck!!