LaundryCleaning

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

I have a Hotpoint Aqualtis washing machine that now makes my whites come out slightly grey? Any ideas?

By 19slade73 from London

There is a product in the US made by Rit dye company that you can put in with a load of whites to help take the discoloration out. There may be something there similar.

This is usually the effect of "cheap" detergent not your machine. There are a couple of solutions:
1) Try purchasing a gallon of white vinegar and pouring it into your washing machine. Fill with cold water and run through the cycle.
2) Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your your wash when you add the soap.
3) hang your clothes outside to let the sun naturally bleach them.

My whites always come out grey or yellowish. What can I do?

Vanessa from Ohio

Answers:

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

If you use bleach it can be due to using too much bleach. That will do it every time. Otherwise you can try using come good old fashioned white vinegar. Just put 1 cup of it in your rinse water. (06/28/2006)

By michellejones3

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

My mother used what she called bluing, it's supposed to whiting white clothes. Should be able to find it with laundry detergents. (06/29/2006)

By msettamae2

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

You could try using Borax along with your detergent, it is found with laundry detergents and is a detergent booster and also removes body odor. If clothing has any polyester, bleach will yellow them. Borax is natural and has no scent. (06/29/2006)

By Anna from Maine

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

RIT makes a dye remover and I heard that it also helps with yellowing of whites. Look in the grocery store for a dye remover. (06/29/2006)

By scruggle

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

If the material is a synthetic, try soaking it in warm water that you have dissolved a good handful of powdered dish washing detergent. I read this tip years ago & have used it on bras, slips, etc. It works! (06/29/2006)

By Faye

My Whites Come Out Grey and Yellow

First of all, don't overload your washer. Next, do not put dark items in with the whites. I always soak my whites after a little agitation with detergent & dry bleach for at least 15 minutes. You'd be surprised how white your clothes will be. The men in my family wear their t-shirts for years because they are so white. (07/01/2006)

By maryc