CasserolesRecipes

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

Category Casseroles

I keep changing my mind as to which vegetable dish to serve for Christmas dinner because I want something that can be made the day ahead to ease preparations on the big day. I finally decided on my old simple standby recipe for broccoli and cheese casserole.

Since I am slow roasting the chicken at 200 degrees F (yes, I am not making a turkey again this year – LOL) all that has to be done is take the casserole out of the refrigerator, allow to come to room temperature and pop it in the oven for about an hour before mealtime.

• 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
  • 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 (16 oz) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/3 cup Panko crumbs
  • 2 tsp. butter, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat and sauté celery until softened.

Stir the soup, milk, mustard, broccoli, sautéed celery and cheese in an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.

Stir the Panko and butter in a small bowl, evenly sprinkle mixture over the broccoli and bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbly.

By Ann from Richland, WA