Fixed Cat No Longer Friendly With Other Cat

We have 2 female cats who got along great. They would sleep together and clean each other. We just got the one fixed and now they hiss and growl every time they get near each other. Why is that? What can we do to have them friendly again?

By mreilly2380 from Duluth, MN

Best Answer

The problem maybe that your "fixed" cat no longer smells right to her friend. Give it a week for all the strange Vet smells to disappear and I bet they'll be back to best friends.

I had a similar thing happen with my cat & dog. They are great friends. Dog went to vets for day surgery and the cat hissed and hide from her for three days, when she came home. Things got gradually better over a weeks time and they are back to be buddies again.

Anonymous

I agree with it being scent related. Beyond the unfamiliar odors from the vet's office, the spayed kitty's personal odor may have changed temporarily from the anesthesia or possibly permanently from being spayed. I am no expert but I would imagine that maybe hormonal scents are different after being spayed. Am not sure but I don't think cats reconize one another so much visually but rather by their scent. They just need to get to know one another again ;-) They'll be fine in just a few days :-)

I had the same problem with my cats. It was the scent thing. I sprayed both of them with perfume and that seemed to solve the problem instantly. Good luck!