Controlling Seafood Smells In Garbage

When having shrimp or fish, to deal with the smell of peelings, shells, bones, or cleanings afterward put the peeled shells or bones in a plastic bag and seal before throwing in your garbage. This will help to control the smell until you can take the garbage outside. It will also help keep the friendly neighborhood animals from making a mess of your garbage can.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

I always wonder why more people don't do this. I do this with any "smelly" garbage, like onion peels and trimmings, tuna or salmon cans, etc. It never fails that if someone is over when I'm cooking and I do this, they say something along the lines of "why didn't I think of that?"

That same idea works for stinky diapers! Sometimes I have visitors and need to dispose of smelly diapers. Stick it in a plastic bag and use a twist tie to seal it and it will be ok until you take out the garbage. Thanks for the hint! D

We live where bears roam through and get into the trash if they can. We freeze all our garbage until we go to the dump. We never have bears or dogs in our trash.

Very good thinking, Latrtatr. We do the same thing, essentially - except instead of using a twist tie, we wrap the baggie around on itself. The technique is simple: insert item, twist bag a couple of times, reverse baggie, basically turning it inside out onto itself. Repeat as many times as you like.

I live in the south and use seafood a lot. My trick is to put them in a plastic grocery bag, spray insides with purex and then tie it up. No problem with smells then. Shirley

I live in Florida and Garbage just plain old stinks with this heat, I keep a 5 qt lined icecream container in my freezer and all foods that wil make smellies before our one day a week pick up goes in there. Meats, fish and anything aromatic gets put in a bag twisted around and then turned in on itself, into the bucket it goes.

Then on Sunday night we empty the freezer & fridge and off it goes to the curb. It keeps the nasty bugs away too.