Recycled CraftsCrafts

Recycling Beaded Car Seats

When you are out and about going to garage sales and thrift stores keep your eyes open for those beaded car seats. They are a great resource for beads. Cut them apart and use the beads to make garlands for a country christmas tree, a handle to a pocket book, a counting game for kids or just let the kids have them to make things with. They make great feet for decorated cans or feet for Barbie Furniture. Have fun and when your done you can always donate the rest to your local preschool or day school.

By Debra in Colorado

By Paula W (Guest Post)

The beaded carseat was popular about 18 years ago and yes, we had one. When we were finished with it, I broke it down and put it in a huge storage container. I have used these many times over with my church kids and preschool kids and still have an almost endless supply of wooden beads! I would definitely buy one at a garage salek! I have had so many parents and fellow teachers look at my crafts and say "Wow! Wish I'd saved that car seat!"

These beads are really great for little ones because the holes are big enough that they can get the string, or whatever they are using, through the hole. The inside of the beads do tend to be a little rough in texture but are still very workable.

I had a couple of these seat covers years ago. They had began to break apart. I took them apart and took them on a mission trip to Central America. The kids nearly took us to the ground for them. It was amazing what they came up to do with them.

By Meg (Guest Post)

I use these beads for heads for the ribbon angels I make. In fact I am in the market for old bead cushions if anyone doesn't want theirs. I can get new ones for $9 each but would pay $4 plus shipping for yours. Please email mstiwas AT if you'd like to sell yours. Thanks.

Any pics of repurposed wooden beads