General AdviceConsumer Advice

How Can I Make Permanent Lines on a Whiteboard?

I am a hockey coach looking to make a fun way for my players to learn the game (positioning, rules, etc). I have made a to-scale Nok-hockey "rink" out of "thrifty whiteboard" from Home Depot and pre-primed 1x3 (looks pretty realistic, if I do say so myself!).

Now I want to draw or paint on the rink markings (red/blue lines, circles, goals, etc). I tried using Sharpie permanent marker, it wiped off. I tried acrylic paint which cracked and flaked right off. The internet is full of ideas on how to get permanent marks "Off" dry erase boards. Any ideas on how to get them to stay "On"?

I've seen vinyl tape listed for making grids, etc. But, I'm afraid the sticks and puck will peel the tape off. Also, I wanted to coat the rink with baby oil to aid in the puck movement, and fear the oil will soak under the tape and negate the adhesive, increasing the likelihood of peeling.

By the way, the "rink" is 6' x 2.55' and is a functional Nok-hockey rip-off. So in this case, the readily available hockey coaching dry-erase/clip-boards aren't an option. I've also found those to be grossly dis-proportional to a real rink, which does a great dis-service to coaches/players. The Bauer one I have is ridiculously off.

I've got $20 and 3 hours into this project. I don't want to waste the time. Thanks for any help/ideas.

By Chris from NY, NY

Permanent marker will work but you have to let it sit, if the weather is damp it takes longer. We used it to make grid for multoplication tables, maps etc. Ria

I have seen "pinstripping" tape used. It is available at craft stores and is about 1/8 inch wide.

I used Sharpie the other night and plan to let it sit for a few days. If it doesn't work, I'm going to try the tape. Thanks for the suggestions.

I let the Sharpie dry for a few days & used car wax over it. A little color came off/smeared, but the majority is still on. We'll see how the lines handle the friction of the waxed wooden puck a few thousand times. Thanks for the advice.

I see permanent line tape for whiteboards. But I would like to know if you can remove it afterwards?

After writing with whiteboard marker, use STRONGHOLD hairspray and spary it then let it dry for a while, if you rub it, it will not come out