General AdviceConsumer Advice

How Can I Make Permanent Lines on a Whiteboard?

I am a hockey coach looking to make a fun way for my players to learn the game (positioning, rules, etc). I have made a to-scale Nok-hockey "rink" out of "thrifty whiteboard" from Home Depot and pre-primed 1x3 (looks pretty realistic, if I do say so myself!).

Now I want to draw or paint on the rink markings (red/blue lines, circles, goals, etc). I tried using Sharpie permanent marker, it wiped off. I tried acrylic paint which cracked and flaked right off. The internet is full of ideas on how to get permanent marks "Off" dry erase boards. Any ideas on how to get them to stay "On"?

I've seen vinyl tape listed for making grids, etc. But, I'm afraid the sticks and puck will peel the tape off. Also, I wanted to coat the rink with baby oil to aid in the puck movement, and fear the oil will soak under the tape and negate the adhesive, increasing the likelihood of peeling.

By the way, the "rink" is 6' x 2.55' and is a functional Nok-hockey rip-off. So in this case, the readily available hockey coaching dry-erase/clip-boards aren't an option. I've also found those to be grossly dis-proportional to a real rink, which does a great dis-service to coaches/players. The Bauer one I have is ridiculously off.

I've got $20 and 3 hours into this project. I don't want to waste the time. Thanks for any help/ideas.

By Chris from NY, NY

Permanent marker will work but you have to let it sit, if the weather is damp it takes longer. We used it to make grid for multoplication tables, maps etc. Ria

I have seen "pinstripping" tape used. It is available at craft stores and is about 1/8 inch wide.

I used Sharpie the other night and plan to let it sit for a few days. If it doesn't work, I'm going to try the tape. Thanks for the suggestions.

I let the Sharpie dry for a few days & used car wax over it. A little color came off/smeared, but the majority is still on.

We'll see how the lines handle the friction of the waxed wooden puck a few thousand times. Thanks for the advice.

I see permanent line tape for whiteboards. But I would like to know if you can remove it afterwards?

After writing with whiteboard marker, use STRONGHOLD hairspray and spary it then let it dry for a while, if you rub it, it will not come out

I am making a calendar out of my whiteboard. I want the lines to be permanent, but want to be able to erase our schedule after each month. If I spray the board with STRONGHOLD hairspray to seal the lines, will I still be able to write our schedule on the whiteboard - and erase it when a new month begins?

I want to do the same type of thing. Have you figured out a solution?

It seems to me that anything you use, will come off with "wear and tear".

Would it be possible to use anything of your choice for the drawings or markings, then allow it to dry completely, then apply some type of permanent lacquer over the top to seal it? Or even a piece of plexiglass or a clear silicone pad - cut to size - placed over the top to protect the paint or felt pen markings.
The only other way for a 'permanancy' would be to have it basically engraved, then the markings/drawings could be filled in with a putty in the colors of choice so as to be flush with the rest of the board.

I don't know what happened, I posted "under your question" I thought, but it's not here.

It is though under (Recent Comments). Hope you can find something that will be quick, cheap, and do what you need it to do.

Cover with clear contact when project is finished, then you can still write over the top without being damaged.

Use thin black tape, it's as easy as that, and you can easily pull it off when you want it off!

Anonymous

I am about to try coating the sharpie with clear nail polish to see if that does the trick. My project is much smaller though, so not sure if thats feasible for a larger space

Anonymous

they now can put any graphics on a whiteboard that is permanent and embedded in board. looks beautiful. there are now many companies using and making. just google graphics for whiteboards.