How Can I Make Permanent Lines on a Whiteboard?

I am a hockey coach looking to make a fun way for my players to learn the game (positioning, rules, etc). I have made a to-scale Nok-hockey "rink" out of "thrifty whiteboard" from Home Depot and pre-primed 1x3 (looks pretty realistic, if I do say so myself!).

Now I want to draw or paint on the rink markings (red/blue lines, circles, goals, etc). I tried using Sharpie permanent marker, it wiped off. I tried acrylic paint which cracked and flaked right off. The internet is full of ideas on how to get permanent marks "Off" dry erase boards. Any ideas on how to get them to stay "On"?

I've seen vinyl tape listed for making grids, etc. But, I'm afraid the sticks and puck will peel the tape off. Also, I wanted to coat the rink with baby oil to aid in the puck movement, and fear the oil will soak under the tape and negate the adhesive, increasing the likelihood of peeling.

By the way, the "rink" is 6' x 2.55' and is a functional Nok-hockey rip-off. So in this case, the readily available hockey coaching dry-erase/clip-boards aren't an option. I've also found those to be grossly dis-proportional to a real rink, which does a great dis-service to coaches/players. The Bauer one I have is ridiculously off.

I've got $20 and 3 hours into this project. I don't want to waste the time. Thanks for any help/ideas.

By Chris from NY, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Permanent marker will work but you have to let it sit, if the weather is damp it takes longer. We used it to make grid for multoplication tables, maps etc. Ria

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 226 Feedbacks
Best Answer

I have seen "pinstripping" tape used. It is available at craft stores and is about 1/8 inch wide.

Best Answer

After writing with whiteboard marker, use STRONGHOLD hairspray and spary it then let it dry for a while, if you rub it, it will not come out

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 451 Feedbacks
Best Answer

It seems to me that anything you use, will come off with "wear and tear".

Would it be possible to use anything of your choice for the drawings or markings, then allow it to dry completely, then apply some type of permanent lacquer over the top to seal it? Or even a piece of plexiglass or a clear silicone pad - cut to size - placed over the top to protect the paint or felt pen markings.

The only other way for a 'permanancy' would be to have it basically engraved, then the markings/drawings could be filled in with a putty in the colors of choice so as to be flush with the rest of the board.

Best Answer

Cover with clear contact when project is finished, then you can still write over the top without being damaged.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Draw your lines then go over the lines with sellotape leave a bit overhang so you can peel off when you need to then clean and apply again.

Best Answer

Hey, I know glass can be used as a dry erase board. There are glass panels at lowes for $7-$35 depending on the size. Also, since it is glass, you can put those 1/8" tape strips like that one person mentioned on the back. You will be able to see them since it is glass, but they won't ever wipe them off or have them unstick because of markers/cleaner. Now, just to find something to go around the edges so they aren't so sharp. Happy Hockey!

Best Answer

Use a paint pen and go over it with clear nail polish. So far has been the only thing that works. Sharpie wipes off, pin-striping peels off. If you use clear nail polish your dry erase marker color will stain it.

But wiping the board across the paint pen/nail polish wont remove your permanent lines

Organizing MiscellaneousJuly 20, 2021
🌻
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-Can-I-Make-Permanent-Lines-on-a-Whiteboard-1.html