Getting Rid Of Odors In Room?

I just moved into a standard attached house in north London. It's not the best of standards of the house, but it came quite cheap to rent. However, the room I'm staying in has old wooden floor, with small gaps in between. And sometimes the room smells quite bad. Don't know if it's mold or something else. But all my clothes are adopting the smell. Does anyone has any suggestion of what to do? Cheers!


Alex from London

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 10, 20080 found this helpful

Try scrubbing the floors with a strong bleach solution. It will kill bacteria and mold if present. Also put crumpled newspaper in hidden places and that will absorb odor. Change out every few days. Also placing small open bowls or containers with vinegar will help remove odors. Hope this helps :0)
Maggie O in Bloomington, MN USA

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 11, 20080 found this helpful

I would be worried theres something dead under the floorboard like an animal or something eg mice or birds, can you get a floorboard up to have a look?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 11, 20080 found this helpful

If the floor can be sanded, I would suggest doing that. I had a closet like that, and yes the clothes adopted the odor. We sanded that closet floor ourselves with a small sander and then put on new varnish. If you have the extra money to have someone do it, go for it. If you don't have the money and are so inclined, go buy a small hand sander and do it yourself, or have a friend come over and help you.


Are there old rugs on that floor, if so, get rid of them permanently. Try sprinkling on the floor a mixture of baking soda and cinnamon, even baby powder. If you have access to a steam cleaner, use it on the floor.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Day from Alberta, Canada (Guest Post)
June 11, 20080 found this helpful

Try using fresh coffee grounds between the cracks on your floor. This should get rid of the smell.

If that doesn't work and it's mold, then you have a problem that needs to be fixed ASP. Any mold, especially "black mold" can effect your health and is serious. Breathing the fumes of mold is not good.

You should get under the floor boards to make sure it's not mold. Your landlord is responsible for anything that could make you ill.

Hopefully it's only a dead rodent and the fresh coffee grounds will take care of that smell for sure. We have tried it and it worked !00%. It was a dead mouse that we couldn't get to without pulling out an entire wall.


Good luck : )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 10, 2008
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-10-15 09:03:05 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.