SewingCrafts

Sewing Lycra Fabric

Category Sewing

Has anyone sewn with acetate/lycra fabric? I purchased some and it is so stretchy! The neckline particularly is a problem. Any ideas?

Sari from Florida

Well, it sounds like you've already cut it out and have started to sew and you're having problems with the neckline. Try zigzag stitching 3/8" or 5/8" clear elastic to the raw edge of the fabric and then turning it in to the wrong side and top-stitching with a double needle. Then steam lightly to embed thread to fabric. Always sew slinky seams with a medium length narrow zigzag stitch or double needles.

I've encountered that problem from time to time too. What I've learned is that you need to use a "ball point" tip needle in your machine and also use ball point tip pins when working with this type of fabric. I use tissue paper (the kind used to wrap gifts or stuff gift bags) and pin the fabric between two sheets. Make sure the fabric is lying flat, then pin securely. I usually take a pencil and draw the line I need to stitch directly on the tissue paper. Stitch through the tissue paper using a stretch stitch (or a slight zigzag). The tissue paper can easily be torn away from the stitching when completed. The tissue paper lets the fabric (which is usually clingy....stretchy) lie flat and unstretched while it is being sewn. Just be sure to use enough pins to keep it secure and flat.