Parenting

Whistling for the Kids

Category Parenting

I taught my children to come when called...er...whistled for. I have a different tune that I whistle loudly for each child and they come running as soon as I whistle for them. It might sound strange, but it sure is better then hollering "JOOOOHNNYYYYY!" in a crowded place or across the neighborhood. :o)

By Joy C.

Not so strange at all, I just wish I knew how to whistle!!

My husband does this with all 4 of our kids (only one whistle for all) and it's always funny to see their heads pop right up as soon as they hear it, even the 2 yr old.
When my oldest was about 14mos there was a cereal commercial that would come on all the time and in it there was the same whistle that his Daddy does. My poor guy would run to the window EVERY time and wait for Daddy to show!

It really is a great tool, especially as they get older and go farther.

My mom always began using a basketball whistle to call me home from playing -- after I disappeared for an afternoon inside a barn where she couldn't see me. The basketball whistle was a great signal to come home.

As for the present, my husband is able to produce a nice sharp whistle and our kids recognize it as the "come here" signal. Sure wish I could make the same sound!

I use the Australian/New Zealand "coo - ee". Here in Israel every family has its whistle. Even ex-Prime Minister Ehud Barak at a White House reception whistled across the crowded room to his wife Nava who immediately broke off her conversation to join him. Forget ettiquette if you need someone quickly.