Helping Kids Make Friends After a Move

Category Friendship
Moving can be difficult for adults and kids alike. Once you are settled, helping your kids meet new kids and make friends is an important activity. This is a guide about helping kids make friends after a move.

My family and I just moved to North Charleston and we have a little girl that's going to be 2 years old on May 12. We want to have a party for her, but we want her to meet some friends before we can have her party. We don't have that much family, so we are looking to meet friends.

We are a married couple with 2 other kids that are boys, they are 4 and 9. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is a cook. I'm 27 and my husband is going on 28 years old. But I need some ideas for her party. I also would like advice for how we can meet new friends. Can anyone help me with either one?

By Meka from N. Charleston, SC

Answers

Best Answer

Take her to a nearby park and strike up a conversation with another Mom as the kids play (friends for her, friends for you); know you're a stay-at-home with three young ones, but if you could afford even one day a week for her in a preschool, she'd get socialization and motor and cognitive skillwork with others her own age and you'd possibly have a few hours for "me" time.

If that's not in the budget, a lot of town recreation departments have "Mommy & Me" things at low cost, from arts and crafts to music to exercise--again, something for you, something for her and the possibility of making friends all around.

Best Answer

If your local YMCA has "mommy and me" classes of any sort, and you can afford it, that would be a great way to meet other moms with kids in your daughter's age group. Also, if your kids' school system has a parent-teacher organization, you could join that. Most parents of school-age kids also have younger ones at home... and the PTO/PTA should be free. Another thought is volunteering - either in the classroom or the community. That's another way to meet friends. Best to you!

Are there any 'story times' at the library or local bookstore? Perhaps you could try out the local churches/places of worship too.

Try the churches. Look for one with an active youth group and Sunday School for the kids, as well as adult activities for you and your husband. See http://www.ebib … ton_church.shtml for a listing.

Also for your younger one, check out your local Parents as Teachers group. They usually have play dates.

Also check out activities with your local Community Center or Park and Rec department.