NeedleworkCrafts

Working With Thin Threads

How do you work with thin threads? How do you keep the thread tight?

Cozie from Breckenridge, Texas

What are you trying to do with them? Here to help! londa

I am trying to learn to make crochet doilies and bedspreads.

Good for you. The cotton threads for these projects are quite inexpensive and durable. A beadspread that belonged to my Grandmother in the 1950's is faded but still strong. One ball of it produces a whole lot!

If your work turns out too lose, you might need a smaller hook, no matter what the directions are telling you. You might need more light, or stronger glasses, or one of those lamp/magnifiers they sell in craft and hobby stores.

Your non hook holding hand has to supply the tension on the thread. If weaving it between each finger dosen't work, try a full wrap around your pinky finger. Keep your hands moist with non-greasy hand lotion. Or, if your hands are sweaty dry them off on a nice fluffy cotton towel.

For a while I resorted to semi streachy croched rings of embroidery floss that I made to fit tight on my pinky. I ran the thread up thru them then popped the ring on my pinky. The rings stay on the thread between the ball and your work untill you are done with the ball of thread.

I'm pretty sure one of these ideas can help you. Have a great time!

Anon,
Londa

Thank you for all your help Londa.
God Bless you

I've crocheted a lot of lace in my time & the trick is to FIRST learn the correct way to crochet... I had to teach myself all over again so I could learn to crochet quickly & hold the tension correctly with my fingers... It may take a bit of practice...

HERE'S HOW YOU DO IT:
If you are right handed you should hold your crochet hook like you would a fork or a spoon or a pencil, but do NOT hold the crochet hook in your fist like you would hold a toothbrush.

You left hand holds your string & is your "tension" hand, The string should start OVER the top of your POINTER finger then under your middle & ring finger then once around your little pinkie finger & from there it's connected to the ball or skein of yarn. And when I say the string (or yarn) should go around the pinkie finger I mean it should come from the pointer finger UNDER the 2 middle & ring fingers then it should go around the pinkie finger so the tail ends up pointed towards the floor & INSIDE (towards your finger) as it circles around the pinkie finger...

I've gone into this vast description because this is how you create your tension when knitting or crocheting... The (short) end piece (of yarn) that goes over the top of your pointer finger should then be held (pinched) between your middle finger & your thumb & you work the tension by moving your pointer finger up & down as the string of yarn passes by...

If you can't figure this out by my description go into a knitting store & have someone that knows how to teach knitting show you for free... They are always happy to teach new knitters so you'll come back & buy their yarn or just look on the internet under "crochet tension" & you'll find some pictures of what I'm describing...

---> It was a BIG hassle for me to re-teach & re-learn to hold my crochet hook & hold my yarn the correct way, (back when I was a teenager) but I'm sure glad I did because I can crochet like the wind these days....

* The only difference between crocheting with yarn & crocheting with thin crochet thread is you have to hold the tension a bit tighter (& you MAY also need glasses!) But stay away from super thin crochet thread until you know how to crochet easily & quickly with regular worsted-weight yarn.

I'm just learning with the super fine thread. Ihave crocheted a lot and with thin threads but right now trying a fine rayon thread. Any tips because I have good glasses,ha ha, just got them. It's a little difficult but just went down a hook size,13/0.85mm and I'm finding that I'm pulling some fine threads. Grrr