Aggressive Pit Bull

I have a 3 year old pitbull whom I love very much. She has always been incredible with my 2 young children and I have never been afriad of having her, instead always feeling safe. We recently just moved into a house, we lived in a condo before, and she has become very aggressive with anyone that walks into the house or that she might see while walking.

I have always been able to let others pet her, but now when they do she becomes very aggressive. I'm very scared for her, all the neighbors do not like her and I feel that I can not have any new guests to our home. My boyfriend wants me to get rid of her, but I cannot even think about doing so. I'm looking for obedience training, but still am very concerned. Any words to make me feel better?

Thanks.
Nadia from CT

Best Answer

Just some quick thoughts for you, first of all I have owned a full pit bull and also a pit mix. My experience with each has been absolutely wonderful. My full pit had one blip when she was about 6 months old. The answer for us was to make sure we were always with her; in other words we never left her alone. She came into our home after we had our first two children. My children were never at risk from her. She protected them without fail.

We also moved a couple of times during the course of our life with our pit and did not experience any kind of ripple in her behavior. However, we always made sure to spend a lot of time with the dog. I do not understand why there seems to be such an air of fear over pit bulls, also known as the American Bull Dog.

I do not understand why we see so many articles in the paper about "pit bulls." I can only guess that it might have something to do with the way they are being bred today. My advice to you is that if you feel uncomfortable with the situation regarding your dog, spend some really concentrated time with your dog.

Do not leave the dog out where he/she has an opportunity to express aggression. Most importantly observe, observe, observe your dog and correct negative behaviors but always remember to express your love for the dog. Professional help is definitely a consideration. If the behavior does not change then it is okay to consider the worst.

Hi, I think your pitbull is trying to be dominant, maybe because of the new housing situation. To her, the house is "her" territory, and is asserting her dominance, treating people (your guests) as outsiders. This is quite dangerous, and professional training, counseling with a professional is necessary. Don't wait. Also your children may be her next target. If it was me, I would not take the chance. People are at risk. Not to mention the consequences to you. I am thinking she also regards you as "her's". Please don't let someone get hurt.