Make a Shopping List Template

Keep a list of what you usually buy at the store and print it on the computer. You can make several copies at a time. When you get ready to go to the grocery store just glance through and check off what you need. You could laminate this or put it in a page protector and check off needed items before each trip to the store.

By Ellen P.

By Paperlady in Montana (Guest Post)

I have done this for almost 20 years using an Excel spreadsheet on my computer. I made 4 columns and made headers for each section of the store I frequent to match the layout of the store as I usually travel through it. IE - Deli, Produce, bread, condiments - according to the aisles. It helps to keep me focused and not buy spontaneously. and I don't miss an important item.

I also keep a list of "Pantry Staples" from a cookbook I got years ago. things to keep on hand so you can throw something together. If i use up the "staple" I write it on the following weeks shopping list. I plan my meals on Saturday, shop for the entire week. I used to pride myself on spending $100 a week for breakfasts, lunches and dinners for my family of 3.

Now with prices as they are, I still use that $100 as a benchmark, only for the 2 of us. since the garden has kicked in the last few weeks, and I will be canning a lot of our produce, I am still aiming at the $100, but allowing us some special extras that I have not indulged in for so long, as a decent bottle of wine to enjoy with a meal.