QuiltingCrafts

Information on Machine Quilting

I make my own curtains and other accessories. I would like to make machine quilts. I would like information on types of machines available and how they work. Also, information on quilting frames and how they work in conjunction with the quilting machine.

Roxrex from Elberton, GA

Contact a local JoAnn Fabric Store and ask them about sewing machines. Then visit the store, shop around and ask questions.

By TracyInNH (Guest Post)

I've been a quilter for forever, and after I make my quilt I almost always send it out to be "quilted" for me. The nicer machines will run pretty high costs. A good idea for you would be to buy a quilt magazine, there are always alot of ads for them, some smaller home versions, and some bigger ones too.

You can quilt with most good machines, but the problem is getting the fabric rolled tight ennough and having enough space to fit the fabric + batting + backing under the machine and being to move it freely to quilt it. There are commercial quilting machines you can easily buy which move along tracks (12' long) and have a place for you to put the rolled quilt on while working on them.

Most places also sell older, reconditioned ones. These machines need lots of room (I believe 16' to freely walk around them--2' on each side) and are too expensive to only use them occasionally. They're more for a home businesses. When you find a place that sells them, they'll let you sew on them so you can be sure before buying.

Try your public library. They'll have quilting magazines like Quilters Monthly Newsletter and Quilting, with lots of ads and info.