Dining OutEntertainment

Have It Your Way Pizza

The other evening, after a long and very unsuccessful garage sale, my husband and I were craving a quick and easy meal, pizza. However, because we had taken in so little cash, we were loathe to spend the $22.00 our local pizzeria charges for our favourite "loaded" veggie pizza.

Disappointed, we agreed that I would scrambled some eggs or make a western omelet with the veggies I had on hand. And then, the aha moment! "Why don't we buy a plain cheese pizza (at a tiny fraction of the cost) and I will saute the peppers, mushrooms, onions, fresh tomato, and garlic I had planned for the omelet?", I asked. "Great idea!" was the response and off my husband went to order the large, plain pie while I sliced up a few veggies.

It was the best take out pizza we ever had. And the really great part, aside from costing so little, was we could put the veggies on as thickly as we liked. We are always going to use this trick from now on, varying the toppings to what we have in the fridge and saving ourselves at least 10 dollars.

By PlumCottage from on the beach in NJ

I do this all the time when we don't want to travel 10 miles to the nearest edible pizza here in NH or spend the money, either. It works SO great! But I have also recently tried Paul Newman's Roasted Vegetable Thin & Crispy Pizza and it's awesomely good!

Yep, I do this all the time. We can get a very good pepperoni pizza for the bargain price of five dollars in my neighborhood. I bring it home and load it up with whatever is in the fridge; sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms, scallions, more cheese, etc. I always have plenty of fresh produce on hand that needs to be used up. It's also a good way to clear out small amounts of leftover meat and lunch meat.

Another good idea - the other night I wanted some pizza but didn't want to buy a whole one. So I made one with a flour tortilla. I crisped it in a skillet with a little olive oil, added some jarred marinara, veggies, cheese, etc., then put it in the microwave until the cheese melted. The perfect personal sized pizza. It was scrumptious!

I do the skillet pizza, but I do the whole thing in the skillet. I put the tortilla in a dry skillet, add a little bit of sauce, top with whatever meat, veggies and cheese that we want. Turn the fire as low as possible, top with a lid and cook until desired doness. The veggies are crisp tender like we like them, the cheese has melted and the tortilla is nice and crispy.

Doris in NW IL

Anonymous

I work at a pizzeria and honestly the price of a plain cheese pizza is sooooo not worth it. A small cheese pizza is 10.95!! Seriously crust sauce and cheese hmmmmm not worth it to me.You'd be better off buying one from a grocery store for half the cost or less and top it with your own ingredients.