Catalina Salad Dressing Recipes

This sweet spicy dressing is great on salads. This page contains Catalina salad dressing recipes.

I love the Catalina dressing, but when it went from a 24 oz bottle to a 16 oz bottle, with a price increase, I stopped buying it. I found a recipes on the web for a copy cat and tweaked it a little to suit my needs.

• 1 can tomato soup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 cup salad oil
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar

Directions:

Combine the above ingredients. Add a pinch of garlic, if you like.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Could someone please advise me what Catalina salad dressing is? Is there something equivalent in Australia?

Vivienne from Australia

Answers

Catalina dressing is similar to French dressing but tangier. This website has a recipe for Catalina dressing:

http://www.cdki  ssing44242.shtml

By chris t. (Guest Post)

It's a kind of tomatoey french, without the cream or whatever that makes regular french dressing creamy. I would look at the ingredients, then look at french dressing recipes. Then try out what would sound good, experiment. I often adjust recipes to get the taste I want.

The website with the "clone" recipe for Catalina Dressing is:
www.recipezaar.com

Just type in Catalina Dressing at the search site, and you will be able to make your own down under. All ingredients are simple and you probably have them in stock already. Good luck

Catalina Dressing is a type of French dressing. A similar tasting dressing is made by Dorothy Lynch.

(It is a little sweeter, but I like it better.) They have a web site (DorothyLynch.com) that you can order the dressing.

Do you not have Kraft Brand Salad dressings in Australia. Similar to French but much better.

Catalina Dressing
Ingredients

* 1 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 dash paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* grated onion, to taste
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 2/3 cup ketchup
* 1 cup vegetable oil

Directions

Place all ingredients into blender and mix. Store in jar in refrigerator.
Shake before using. Makes @2 cups.

By senor m. (Guest Post)

Catalan is a region of SPAIN (Barcelona is part of this)
the secret AUTHENTIC ingredients are:

SMOKED paprika (!)
Aged wine vinegar (or good balsamic works too)
then oil salt and pepper
That's it.
mix together these simple ingredients and you will truly understand Kraft's attempt to capture these simple pure flavors
I really hope people read this message, try it and learn that there IS NO CATSUP in true Catalan flavours

It's named after Peter Buadonna's girlfriend.

In the US "catalina" dressing is clearly thought of as California style food. It is not from nor associated with Catalan nor any other part of Europe. Catalan should be very glad of this. It is a sweet/sour sauce that adds empty calories to a salad, I'm not a fan.

I'm not sure who that is. Google didn't give me any hits on that name and I didn't find any connection to Catalina dressing being named after a specific person.

Give us some more information, if you can. :)

I think Catalina Dressing is named after Catalina Island, CA, USA, not Catalan, Spain.

It looks like the dressing was first marketed by Kraft. I couldn't find any information if the dressing existed before that but it is possible that it did. There are many sundried tomato dressings that are basically a version of Catalina as well.