Plant HealthGardening

White Fungus on Pitisporum Tobira (Japanese Mock Orange)

This summer one of my Pitisporum tobira plants began to show signs of drying. Then another one nearby started drying out so I decided to transplant it thinking there might be something wrong with the soil they were in. While transplanting and trimming out the dry stems I noticed this white fungus growing on it. Is this normal for Pits or is it a fungus? If it's a fungus is there anyway to save this plant? I've attached a photo of a trimming with the white stuff on the stems.

Thanks for your help.

By Patty

It looks like you have spittle bugs in your garden. Here's another pest that looks worse than it is, the aptly named Spittlebug (Cercopidae Family). There are some 23,000 species of spittlebugs. That's because spittlebugs are very good at hiding. That mass of froth you see on your plant isn't there to do your plant harm. It's a very clever cover for the spittlebug

GOOGLE spittle bug and read more about them.